Help, Not Enough Water. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Help, Not Enough Water.

My cat China really hates drinking water! It has been sooo hot for the past 2 weeks and she drinks so little water that she is only urinating once a day. She is acting fine, but I am afraid she will become de-hydrated.

Is there anything I can put in the water to make her like it more? I have tried ice cubes, tried it at room temperature, and I even tried several different bowls, but nothing seems to work. Any advice?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Chris, I can so understand how you feel. Sully drinks NO water, I have given him tap water, bottled water, ice cubes in water, a running tap and nothing works. I feed him strictly canned for that reason. I was told that he is probably not drinking water because he eats canned food but it still bothers me in this heat. any advice anyone has I would love to hear it!

My husband thinks tuna water or some type of flavored water but that just seems disgusting to me. I would be to concerned that it would just sit there for hours before he touched it.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:12 PM

My cat Mojo doesn't drink much water and will get UTI's because of this. My vet told me to make sure he eats wet food throughout the day. I feed him in the morning beforeI go to work, when I get home from work, and before I go to bed. He doesn't eat much at one sitting so that is why I feed him three times a day.
I wish I could be of more help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris06516
I have tried ice cubes, tried it at room temperature, and I even tried several different bowls, but nothing seems to work. Any advice?
Have you tried different water? Cats are very sensitive to the taste of water, and there might be something in the water that she doesn't like. If you're using tap water, try distilled or bottled. Another thing to consider is that a lot of cats have a preference for running water, so a pet fountain will make the water more attractive to the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyO
My husband thinks tuna water or some type of flavored water but that just seems disgusting to me. I would be to concerned that it would just sit there for hours before he touched it.
I'm with you. In the first place, tuna water will go bad if it's left sitting out. Second, I think this should be reserved as a last resort for cats who aren't drinking because they're ill.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try some bottled water and see if that helps. China does get 1 small can of cat food each morning (Ugh, I am a terrible mom, she gets Fancy Feast because it is all she likes for canned food). At least I don't feel so alone knowing other cats have the same aversion to water.

Tim, a water fountain sounds really neat. I will have to do some searching on that one!!

Chris
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:29 PM

My boys drink so much more when they have their fountain out!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:46 PM

Not to be nasty, but what YOU think about "flavored water" isn't pertinent, it's what the cat thinks about it.

What I do to orally hydrate a dog or cat is to get a can of Swanson's Low-Sodium canned chicken broth, and dilute it half/half with water, and put it in a separate bowl from the water. Adding some warm water to just increase the smell sometimes helps, too.

If you're having tuna, go ahead and give the water/juice to the cat. If she finishes it, fine. If she doesn't, pick it up after a while and toss it.

City water is sometimes heavily chlorinated, and some cats object to it. If money is a problem, you can just put some water in an open container, stir it occasionally and leave it open overnight, and the chlorine will evaporate. Sometimes that works for the cats, sometimes not.

Predicting the stock market is easier than predicting what a cat will do!

Sue
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Well, the thing about giving tuna-flavored water on a regular basis is that it's often used as a "trick up your sleeve" to get a sick cat that's lost its appetite to eat and drink. If a healthy cat is getting tuna-flavored water already on a regular basis, the cat is used to the tuna flavor and there's nothing left to use if the cat gets sick and needs something unusually tasty to get it to eat or drink. You've already used up your last-ditch trick. Just something to think about -- it's always best to have an unused option to fall back on when you really, REALLY need it.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 PM

I used the fresh-flow fountains but they got too expensive to keep replacing cause the motor kept burning out. But, the cats drank a lot more water with that.

Because Snowball would dump any water I put out for them, I decided to try a stainless steel bowl. They leave the bowl alone now. Plus, I have one of those filtered faucet things for our water and I use that for the cats. No problems!

So, yeah, I'd try filtered water of some sort.

OFF-TOPIC, sort of----I remember a job I used to have, I'd freeze half a bottle of water and in the morning fill the other half with just water. Well, we had just moved into this apt. and so the first morning here I grabbed my water and headed to work. Took a big swig, not thinking anything of it, and oh my goodness, my insides were clean for the next week. UGH! I may as well have taken a drink of bleach or something! I had to go buy a pop to get rid of the taste. Nast-ay! Imagine the poor kitties if it had been them?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 04:33 PM

If the cats get up on the sink (oh, you think they don't, eh? ), you might try what I do.

Sincel 9/11, I am more careful what I leave for the animals, just in case I am very late (days) getting home, as I live in earthquake/volcano country. Besides the two big bowls of water for the dog, I leave a plastic grate in the bottom of the sink and set a stainless steel bowl under it, and let the faucet drip slowly into it. With the grate, I don't have to worry about the bowl shifting and plugging the drain, coming home to a new kitchen swimming pool. The cats like the drip. Even if the power goes off, the water still runs (ours, anyway -- not if you have a well, I guess).

BTW, for a sick-cat treat, I discovered that since my cat likes cheese, I keep a can of cheddar-cheese condensed soup in the pantry. Considerably diluted, they will often take it if nothing else is appealing.

Re: the tuna juice. I was just thinking of it for temporary situations. Cats are incredible creatures of habit. If you give them something yummy occasionally, they're fine with it when they're sick. But if it's entirely new to them, even tuna water, they may turn their noses up at it. So I give it to them just occasionally as a treat. A bit in hot weather can help keep them hydrated, as a dehydrated cat IS an emergency.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page