Good News!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Good News!!

My cats are coming with me to Vancouver!

As our move date got nearer and nearer, I was finding it harder and harder to think about leaving my babies behind. I think they knew it too because they were getting more and more affectionate, those little manipulative brats. I hadn't talked about it with my mom/grandpa since before my grandma died, so I brought it up again and since I've offered to go to school only part time in order to look after my grandpa, they gave in to the cats. I feel sort of bad because it feels like I manipulated them now, but we have a plan for blocking off the downstairs where my grandpa lives so the cats can't get down.

So that's great! But, now this means we're going to have to haul the cats on a 6-night, 5000 km road trip across the country, and Ariel doesn't travel well at all.

I'm going to make an appointment with my vet to get a checkup and ask about sedatives, but can you really sedate a cat for seven days? Jasmine has always been okay in the car, but Ariel can't tolerate anything that moves - even the elevator in our building. It's a 45-minute drive to the vet and she cries the entire way and worse, starts panting. I don't know how she'll handle seven days of it.

I've read a few other threads on travelling with cats, but if anyone has any new experiences, please share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say that's great news!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 04:56 PM

Maybe someone else can back me up, but I've heard Feliway sprays work in the carrier to help calm the kitty's nerves. Also, they have stuff at like Petsmart/Petco that you can give them for like motion sickness and stuff for travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:37 PM

Maybe spirit essences would help?

http://www.spiritessence.com/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I've heard people talking about SpiritEssences here... but do they actually work? Has anyone used them before?

And Petrafan, I browsed the Petsmart site... and they did have quite a few different things for travel. I hope they sell them up here! Hopefully between those, and anything my vet gives me, and possibly the Spirit stuff, they should be okay.

I just don't want her to collapse from the stress or something. I don't know, could that happen? I hate it when she starts panting, it really freaks me out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 AM

I use the spirit essences for Obsession. My oldest cat has OCD. I have had some success with it. She hasn't entirely stopped overgrooming, but she isn't bald either
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
I've heard people talking about SpiritEssences here... but do they actually work? Has anyone used them before?
I used Spirit Essences with two of my cats -- one is a bully and the other is scared of everything (great combination). Anyway, I had the spirits mixed at a local Herb Shop rather than buying online, and I think it worked for them. Two cats that wouldn't be in the same room before now sleep about a foot apart. It's worth a try -- you could also get some meds from the vet if you think she will be really bad.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

So glad to hear that! Hope you find a solution
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so glad you can take them with you. I had a cat who did the panting thing and I just started taking him for very short trips in the car and giving him special treats and catnip when we got home and he was o.K. in a pretty short time. Oh, also,sometimes I'd just take him out and sit in the car without it running. Now he doesn't mind at all. If the only place they ever go is the vet then they associate the car with bad things. If you have time before your trip maybe this will help. It didn't take mine long at all.
GOOD LUCK!!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page