Advice on missing cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Advice on missing cat

I live in a pretty small apartment. I let my cats out once in a while, if it's daylight they never really leave line of sight from the apartment, while at night they'll disappear sometimes up to an hour or so and come back (at which point I have to lasso them so they don't run off again; it's like they just check in every few minutes). My two cats are from the same litter, and they are about 1 year 3 months old.

Last night I let them out around 11:30 pm, and while one was back around midnight, the other has not come back yet (currently 2:25 pm). I know cats just kind of disappear sometimes, but I'm getting worried because my cats have never been gone for more than an hour before and here she is going on a full day. It's topping about 100 degrees outside, and we're expecting thunderstorms later tonight.

I'm past the point where I was totally freaking out (around 6 or 7 am this morning, after having not gone to sleep at all waiting for her to show up), but I am getting more and more worried. I put some food and sweaty clothes out on my porch to try and attract her. Unfortunately, I just live in this small apartment so I don't really have something like a garage door I can just leave open, so now I'm afraid to leave my house for more than 30 minutes or an hour in case she comes back while I'm gone. If she's not back by tonight I'm going to start posting fliers around the neighborhood.

Frankly, knowing the personalities of the two cats, it doesn't surprise me at all which one came back and which one disappeared (she was always more adventurous), but I'm trying to avoid going into a panic attack. Is it normal for a cat to go from checking in every 20-30 minutes to just disappearing for a day or two at a time?

::edit::

forgot to add, she is wearing a collar, but it does not have any tags on it.

::/edit::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Premier Cat

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 04:08 PM

I am sorry...I understand how you are feeling.
My Mi Mi got out yesterday and has not yet returned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

I hope you find your cat!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:27 PM

any news yet
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I gave it a full day before I went out and started putting up posters, so at Midnight two nights ago I started doing that. Went around the neighborhood putting them up for an hour or two before going to sleep on my couch next to an open window. Anyway, no news until about 11 am yesterday (as I was pulling in to the parking lot at my work) when another lady in my apartment complex called and said my cat had been hanging around her porch. She had just thought someone was letting their cat run around for a while and didn't realize it was lost until she saw my sign, so I went and got her and everything is cool now.

The lady's apartment building was right next to a pool, like mine, and her apartment was pretty much where mine would be, so I think my cat THOUGHT she was home but knew at the same time that there was nothing familiar around. Must've been terrified. When I got her and brought her home she got some water and then fell unconscious for like 3 or 4 straight hours, didn't even lift her head when I walked by.

So anyway, she's back now. I had planned on printing out a ton of fliers and spending the entire afternoon putting them out, so it's good that I found her before I used up all that extra time and money. I finally slept for longer than about 2 hours consecutively last night, so that's also good.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Awesome...I found Mi Mi too...she wsa locked in the neoghbors garage/basment for 2 days.
Only thing is...she came home and ate like a pig and then
tried to get out again right away!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm glad you found her
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:04 PM

great news
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM
d_b
Cat

Great news on both accounts!!

It breaks my heart to read that some ones cat is missing.

If you can't spoil a pet, there is no use in having one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page