Wish I'd known this sooner!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Wish I'd known this sooner!!

The other day I finally broke down and made an appointment at the groomers for Sheba. She HATES us cutting her nails.. scratches, bites, even when we wrap her up like a taco, she wriggles out w/all her strength and gets us. She turns into kitty. We have spent entire evenings on one paw.
I called the groomer and asked them if they did cats and warned them that she was very opposed to her nails being cut. She said no problem.
We get there and the groomer takes sheba back... I'm not kidding, less than 5 minutes (I didn't even have enough time browse the store) she was back out. I was shocked!! A whole night, josh and I get a paw done, 5 min and they have both front and back done. And on top of it, they only charge $5!!!! SOOO worth it to not fight her anymore!! No more long claws for Sheebs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
WOW.

Personally I never had a problem with clipping cats' nails myself. I invest in really good tools, though.

The experts certainly know their stuff!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 PM

i guess i'm lucky my cats let me cut their claws, although i prepared for it by playing with their feet when they ready to go to sleep and their fine with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm so glad t know this because Tiger doesn't like us messing with his paws. I thought it would be more expensive! I'd better make an appointment. Thanks for the info for those of us with uncooperative cats!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Banned

Wow , maybe you should ask them what their secret is?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the price shocked me too!
I have tried playing w/her feet while petting her.. but she was stray, so I didn't get to do this when she was a kitten... who knows what happend to her then.
The groomer said she held her by the neck (which we tried) and played w/her ears and that helped her relax.... maybe it was a new person, b/c nothing we do relaxes her during nail clipping time. We may try again eventually, but for now I think it'll be worth it to pay the groomer $5 and let her get Sheba used to it!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
WOW.

Personally I never had a problem with clipping cats' nails myself. I invest in really good tools, though.

The experts certainly know their stuff!!!
hey, what kind of tools do you use? I just have a decent claw trimmer that I got from PetSmart... seems to do the trick fine, but I'm just wondering what you use??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I get the claw trimmer from Four Paws.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm a big fan of scruffing cats at work (a vet's office). It sounds cruel, but as long as you know what you're doing its great and doesn't hurt them at all.

For the most part, almost any cat can be reasonably restrained by scruffing. You may want to ask your groomer to let you watch them do it a few times, or even your vet. I know we have no problem teaching people how to do things like trimming nails on their own to avoid the expense of bringing them in every few weeks.

The only thing is that in an unfamiliar environment, most animals are scared enough to kind of work well with us. At home, they know they don't have to take it from you! That's why giving meds always looks easy until you get home. Honestly, I STILL can't pill my own cat worth a darn and have no problem at work

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Just like children. They can be totally different at school than they are at home!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page