Help! I want another kitty.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Help! I want another kitty....

Yup, that's right. I have been craving to get another cat lately. Many of you know the background of my current cat, Oliver, and his aggression issues. So i'm mainly asking for input from those that know my current situation but any other advice is welcome too! =)

Cats are very adaptable animals. That's what I keep saying over and over again when the thought of putting a new cat in the house with Oliver crosses my mind. I think the beginning, naturally, would be a rough one. I'd suspect a lot of growling and hissing and probably fighting. BUT, I feel that as time went on, Oliver would adapt and really find to like his new buddy.

I really want another cat for Oliver's sake and not just mine. I think he'd be really happy to have a playmate. I work full time and am not home alot and when I do get home I tend to go straight to my computer or start cleaning. I do pay attention to him but not as much as I should. And then I think the reason why he stalks me and attacks is because he has nothing else better to do. I want him to take his playfullness out on another cat and not me! I know that sounds mean but cats know their limits on biting eachother. I do not think Oliver knows that it hurts me so much more when he bites me.

I do not want a kitten! I want a 2 or 3 year old adult that is already set in it's ways. I also want it to be declawed. I do not want to go through declawing another cat so if I do get one it'll be one that is already declawed. I want an orange cat or a dilute tortie. I'd really like a girl but I know most orange ones are male.

Me and Oliver moved down from Illinois to live with my boyfriend in South Carolina for 2 months but we will be moving back to Illinois in mid July...moving back in with my sister. So, I need to run this by my sister and see if she'll even let me bring another cat into her house. I also need to run it by my boyfriend because if we end up together in the future, I need to know that he is okay with having 2 cats. He is not a cat person but tolerates Oliver right now.

So, those of you that know what Ollie is like....do you think putting a cat into his household would be just out right mean to the other cat? hahah! I really do belive that Oliver would get used to a new buddy and end up liking to have a friend in the house to play with and keep him entertained.

I'm done rambling...sorry, I just got a bad case of cat fever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

It all sounds quite reasonable to me.

(and believe me, I read it three times to see if I could come up with some kind of an argument )
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:47 PM

I really can't see a problem with it. As long as your sister agrees I am sure you could find what you are looking for at a shelter too. I think alot of people have suggested to try and add another cat. I think it may help Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
As long as your sister, and your boyfriend is ok with it, I say go for it. Make sure you ask Oliver first, though. HAHA!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 09:09 AM

Boomer used to be a complete brat, he attacked magnum when he was a kitten making Mags semi blind in one eye so Magnum basically ignored him, and you know the hours we work in our house! Matt would come home and Boomer was either all over him or had tore something up.

Once he got Bumper... Boomer completely changed... they played together but he wasn't aggressive like he was towards Magnum, so maybe getting a younger cat will help.

And I do agree with getting a cat that is declawed as Oliver may feel 'safer' if he isn't at a disadvantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page