Falling from a window - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Falling from a window

My 15 year old girl Smudge had a bit of an accident this morning and fell out of the upstairs bedroom window. She normally only goes out in her cat house and I am so careful about keeping windows closed but it has so warm here the past few days I thought I could risk opening the window an inch or two - just goes to show how much I know!

Thankfully she is ok - she has had a good checkover and other than feeling a bit sorry for herself and limping a little is doing ok.

I spoke to the vet at length and I though it would be interesting for people here to know that he said in instances like this one of the biggest problems can be a broken jaw. The cats body is equipped to land and take the "shock" of a fall but frequently what can happen is that the jaw will hit the ground with the impact and this can be a real problem. Other than any visible signs and your cat letting you know that they are in real pain you would recognise this primarily by them not being able to eat anything. Just thought this might be of interest.

I'm baking as the windows are now all closed again and Smudge is definitely grounded!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

Thanks....that's interesting and useful information to know.

Did you know about pet screen? Especially strong window screen that pets can't tear. Available at home improvement stores and at window and door stores here in the US, but don't know availability in the UK. If you google "pet screen" there are a number of online sources.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 AM

My parents rescued 2 cats that were thrown from a truck (at high speed) in front of their house. One suffered a broken jaw and both had broken teeth. No broken bones anywhere else! Kinda falls under you vets theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Tom Cat

I live on the third floor of an apartment building and was very worried about the girls taking a tumble out the windows. Especially since my windows open side to side instead of top and bottom. I ended up rigging up some mesh across the windows, between the screens and the inside of the apartment. It's not pretty but I have a lot more piece of mind. And it actually paid off since one of them blew the screen right out of the window last week! Screen was in the yard but the mesh was still secure in the window. The mesh I used resembles chicken wire but it's plastic. I got a whole roll of it for less then $10 at Wal-Mart. I just used strips of velcro woven through the ends to secure it. You can sort of see the result in this pic:

Like I said, it's not pretty but I don't have to keep the windows all shut up either.

Kel
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Cool Cat

Window

Last year I sent away for a screen from a company at this address
www.cataire.co.uk

Its just a one man operation - he makes these screens in his spare time. Not that cheap, but it's a pretty good screen - it keeps Jimmy from falling out of the bedroom window at night! When its warm, he loves to sleep on the window sill and get the breeze through his fur

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page