Need advice -- my cats are ripping my screens!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Need advice -- my cats are ripping my screens!!

Hi and help!!

Pepper and Pumpkin keep getting their claws caught in our window screens. The screens are getting torn and my husband is not happy. We can't even leave our windows open at night anymore because they climb the screens to go after bugs.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? They love the open windows and I'm feeling guilty that they can't enjoy them as much.

I have heard of some kind of sturdy pet screens but I don't know how they work. This is not something I would buy online (needs to pass my up close inspection ) so if anyone can tell me more about them and/or where to buy them...

We also have a screened porch, so if anyone has an idea about that also, that would be great. They only go out there during the day (fewer bugs) so it's less of an issue.

I know I need to be a little more forceful about having trimming their nails also. They are like little hooks that catch on everything. Pepper hates the trimming, though!!

Thanks!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 AM

Go to Home Depot's window department. They sell pet screens, plus the tools you need to replace the old screens. The pet screen works well, I've replaced some of my screens.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks, Snowball. I'll hit the Depot tomorrow!

Do they work on any kind of windows? You mentioned tools are required -- does that mean that I have to remove the screening from inside the frame of my current screens? I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

How exactly does this work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Yeah, you have to take down the screen, remove the old screen, cut the new screen to fit and secure the screen by pushing in a rubber gasket thingie. There are also companies that will come out to do screening (look under screens in the phone book) but they will charge more than doing it yourself. It's not too hard, but I'm a long time DIY'er.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the info, Snowball.

Hmm, I'm not sure I want to do that. We have good windows (Pella) and the screens are quite nice. I don't want to dismantle them. I wonder if there's another way to go about it?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

Maybe you'd be more comfortable just taking your old screens in to a window and door store and having them replace all the screen with pet screen. They come off, right?

I didn't like the look of the pet screen, myself, and I replaced all my fabric screens with aluminum screens, and so far they're holding up quite well. There's some minor cosmetic damage here and there, but aluminum seems to be strong enough to resist cat claws.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yes, the screens pop right out. There are small clips (for lack of a better word) on each side holding them in.

The project Snowball suggests sounds doable, but I don't want to ruin the screens I have. They're good quality and not inexpensive to replace.

Maybe I'll look into buying aluminum screens. I guess I could buy a few for the windows we use most. Where did you get yours, Tim? I wonder if I'll have to buy them from a Pella dealer.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

I'll bet the Pella dealer can do this for you. But just look under "Windows" in your Yellow Pages and get some competitive quotes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM

If I understand this correctly....
You wouldnt really be ruining your screen..
you would just be repalcing the screen with a
difrerent screen material...that would be considered a
Home Improvement.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
you would just be repalcing the screen with a
difrerent screen material...that would be considered a
Home Improvement.
Not exactly in our case. Our home is only a few years old -- we designed it and had it built. Everything is still pretty new.

Our window screens have metal frames, and after looking at them I see that the screening cannot be removed and replaced easily. The frames would have to be taken apart first. I can handle some projects but this is definitely beyond me.

I called the manufacturer and found out that new screens would be in the $20-$50 range per screen.

I'd like whatever we do to look nice. We have alot of windows in our house and pretty views outside. Plus, my husband has business clients coming in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page