Two Litter Box Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Two Litter Box Questions

First, how long does a litter box last? I realize the smell can seep into the plastic over time, but I don't know how long that is. The reason I ask is I have one covered box and two uncovered boxes, and the kitties prefer the uncovered boxes -- I thought it might have something to do with smell. They are all scooped one to two times a day, and I wash with soap and water every time I completely change the litter, which is about every two weeks. I was getting concerned because the least favorite box is the oldest box and thought it might think it's kinda stinky.

Second, I need some ideas on how to conceal the litter boxes when we move into our new house -- right now, we have a laundry room in our apartment, which keeps the boxes out of the way and gives the cats some privacy. We will be moving into a three-bedroom house with a full kitchen and dining area. I'm thinking about getting a folding screen to hide them in the dining area, but knowing my cats, they will knock the screen over every chance they get.

So, where do you all "hide" your boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Tom Cat

I think a folding screen sounds like a great idea! Especially in your case where the cats are favoring uncovered boxes. There are tons of litterbox enclosures that look like other furniture but they are all of course covered. My cats box is in a bathroom now but if I ever manage to get a house I'm going to use your screen idea.

If you want to see some of the enclosures you might look at some cat furniture sites. A lot of them have litter box covers as well as the condos or cat gyms. I'd link you some but I'm at work and all that kind of stuff is blocked here

Kel

edit: found one I could actually look at

http://www.frufrupets.com/shop/category.asp/catid/2
http://kpayne1.photosite.com/HawksWillHiders/
http://www.lovethatcat.com/cat-furniture-chest.html
http://www.therefinedfeline.com/cat-lit ... niture.htm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah, I was thinking about the cat furniture, I love the look of some of them but I can't justify spending $150 on something to cover the cat boxes. Maybe I could find some old enclosed toy boxes/end tables at a thrift store or something and have my stepdad cut hole for the cats to go in and out of. Would that look too ghetto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:38 AM
Premier Cat

My cats don't like covered boxes either. I have a wall sink in my bathroom and the litter box under it. I velcroed fabric around the sink so it sort of acts as a sreen and it's easy to take down and wash. I've just replaced boxes when the bottom starts to look really yucky even after I scrub it.

Victoria
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 AM

hippyart...
have you picked a house yet?
when we house shopped I kept litterboxes in mind.
I have 1 in the basement and 1 in a hallway closet...
both oversized boxes with no covers.
they are concealed perfectly
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We have a house picked out -- we are renting my friend's house after she moves to Iowa. She had a cat, but she lived by herself and just put her cat's box in one of the spare rooms. Unfortunately, Joel and I need separate workspaces, so all three bedrooms will be used. I guess we could put the boxes in my office, but a couple of my cats can clear a room after they go, so that may not be the best place -- especially when I'm doing phone interviews. If only my sources could see my face.

I thought the dining room might be the best room since we rarely eat at the table, and I could conceal them by a screen and move the boxes if we had people over for dinner -- which is hardly ever. Access to the basement is through the garage, so that's not really an option. I don't know, it may take a few tries before we find the best solution.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:14 AM

How about in the offices...in the closets?
If there is just office products in there it wont affect any clothes.
The hall coset I use is an odds n ends closet.

I dunno...closets work really good...Tim has his in a closet also.
I know that my cat would climb a screen.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I was worried about the screen too -- I had one before, and they thought it was fun to see who could knock it over first. I had to take it back to the store because they were so determined to keep it on the ground.

I'll have to look at the closet situation again at the house. From what I remember, there isn't exactly a hall closet in this house. It has a coat closet behind the front door, which I imagine will have to be closed to open the front door. The boyfriend will beetch if the litter boxes are in his office closet (I can just hear it now), and he shuts his door alot because he likes to listen to music and I don't always want to hear it. Using my office is fine -- if they don't make me run for the hills.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:22 PM

Yeah...I only have 1 cat...so odor isnt much of an issue.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM

We have two litterboxes in our laundry room and one in a closet. What about putting a box in the closet in your office?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page