Kitty Drama today... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Kitty Drama today...

OH MY GOSH! I was out airing Suzi today when she took the notion to run up a huge tree outside the apartment- I was holding the leash slack and she just took off with me running behind! She got to the end of it high enough up that she had to be pulled down If i had let go she would be stuck in a 30ft tree, and I would be trying to climb it more than, likely Any how,who should I call if a cat is stuck somewear like that?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The fire department, probably.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
The fire department, probably.
When my boyfriends parents were first married, they were adopted by a stray cat they named Annie. One time, Annie got caught in a tree!! They were terrified. They called the fire deparment and they said, "I'm sorry, but we don't take those calls. She'll come down when she's hungry."

"How do you know??" the frantic couple asked.

The fireman said matter-of-factly,"I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree."

Moving on, you can try to fire department, but don't be too surprised if they don't come out and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
Moving on, you can try to fire department, but don't be too surprised if they don't come out and help.
I always thought that they shouldn't in a case like that. Fire departments arn't just for fires anymore. They are accident responders, search and rescue, crowd control, first line in the anti-terror plan, ect.

I can understand why they wouldn't come out with all that on their plate already.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Premier Cat

My Tess loves to climb trees. She knows how to get down when she wants to. I always worry the leash is going to get caught on her way down but it hasnt yet!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Generally fire departments don't do cat rescue any more. If your city is large enough to have an animal control unit, they would be the ones to call.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 AM

In my town, if you look in the yellow pages under "tree," like for tree trimming, some will advertise that they rescue cats from trees.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:51 PM

When I was a teen, still living with my parents, we had a gorgeous, huge, white, deaf cat. He managed to get into a very tall pine tree (if I remember correctly he got "stuck" somewhere between 60-70 feet). Pines don't have low limbs (at least not this variety) and from what I understand, cat claws don't work as well going down as they do up. Plus, we couldn't coax him down verbally, and he was terrified. We tried everything we could think of...no success.

After 4 days, we did call the fire dept. (we had a volunteer unit that was located in our neighborhood, and it was an area where everyone knows everyone). The only way they could get him down (he was far out on a limb that was barely big enough to support his weight) was to climb up with spiked boots, and cut the limb. They had the big fire engine out there so every neighbor within 5 blocks was watching. A lot of people brought sheets out to make safety "nets".

Okay...now, falling limb with terrified cat clinging to it. Cat hits a sheet, runs off, and goes...guess where? Into a storm drain...where he promptly got stuck.

It took some time, but with the help of the fire dept. (Bless the Volunteers!) he was safely rescued. He was taken to the vet and suffered only a slightly broken claw and a coat of mud on his beautiful, long white coat. The rescuers didn't fare quite as well...most of them were head-to-toe scratch-marks and dirty white fur. He lived to the ripe old age of 18 and he never climbed a tree or went into a storm drain again...that I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page