My Little Mouser - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My Little Mouser

Assumpta had a very gratifying morning.

My husband got up earlier than usual, and told me to stay in bed, he'd feed the cat.

He put her bowl down, and was watching her to make sure she didn't eat too fast. He said that she just vanished in mid-bite. One second she was there, and then she was gone. He finally realised that she had gone under the stove, but couldn't figure out how or why she'd move so fast (since Assumpta is a bit...well...plump and lazy).

Then she came back out with a mouse. She scooted around carrying it for a few minutes, then came back to the kitchen and dropped it in her food bowl. Then she looked up at my husband, no joke, with an expression saying "Waiter...there's a mouse in my food!" and whimpered until he disposed of Mr. (or Ms.) Mouse and replaced her food. Sure, we'll catch mice, but we don't want to eat them! I shouldn't complain...at least she wasn't trying to feed me the mouse this time.

It never ceases to amaze me just how fast and lethal my little lardo-kitty is when there's a mouse to be had. My husband said it was like she just vaporized and reappeared under the stove. I don't know how she can be such a slug 99.99999% of the time, and turn into an olympic athlete when a mouse shows up.

I think she's feeling a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Banned

Brought a smile to my morning.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
I don't know how she can be such a slug 99.99999% of the time, and turn into an olympic athlete when a mouse shows up.

I'm glad Assumpta is feeling perkier. Nothing like a mouse to bring out a cat's true colors!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh yes...when she was feeling her worst several weeks ago, I watched a mouse run right past her, and she just sat there and watched it. I think that's when I really started to freak out, actually.

And she's so funny when there's something strange in her bowl (like a piece of stew beef that's too big to swallow whole). She'll sit there, shifting her weight back and forth between her front paws in frustration, and making these tiny "murpf" noises. It's hysterical to watch her.

But all those questions we see about cats dropping their toys into the food/water bowl? Well, it happens with real mice, too (actually, we found part of a mouse torso last week in the office cats' bowl at the shelter, too...must be a peak in the summer breeding cycle right now...we're not sure where the rest of the mouse ended up, but the male office cat was looking rather smug ).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
She'll sit there, shifting her weight back and forth between her front paws in frustration, and making these tiny "murpf" noises.

I love your Assumpta stories. They're so well-told.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen

I love your Assumpta stories. They're so well-told.
Speaking of which, is there a story on how she got the name Assumpta? Seems like an unusual name.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz2k
Speaking of which, is there a story on how she got the name Assumpta? Seems like an unusual name.
Yeah, there is.

When she first came here, I went through about a zillion names, looking for the right fit. She came close to being named "Butch" because of her scrappiness and somewhat thuggish personality, but it just wasn't "right."

So one day, I was sitting and watching "Ballykissangel," with the cat on my lap, and every time Dervla Kirwan came on screen, the cat would perk up and meow. She played a feisty, tough, and irreverent small-town barkeep named Assumpta Fitzgerald...and so was my cat christened.

Best thing about your cat having an odd name is that the vet's office always remembers you. They don't know me from Adam, but if I say "Assumpta," they all suddenly know who I am (then again, some of that might have to do with the fact that her nickname at the vet's is "Exorcist Kitty")
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

Funny story!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:28 PM

This is hilarious. I love that cat! Hehehe

Speaking of whimpering. The other day I was clipping Snowball's nails and I hold the cats like a baby. Usually they put up a fight for a bit and when they realize they can't get away, they settle down. So, this happens and Snowball laid in my arms and whimpered. "Mph, mph, mph" for the whole what, 30 seconds it took to clip his nails? LOL! I was trying so hard not to laugh cause I knew I'd lose my grip on him.

They're such little people, aren't they?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM

well done Assumpta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page