Leaving Boys Alone - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Leaving Boys Alone

Jim and I are going to my parents for a couple of days for the 4th of July weekend. Rather than take Skeeter and Binx on such a long car trip (9 hours) so soon after the move and for such a short period of time, we are hoping to just leave them at the apartment. I was hoping my in-laws would be here to take care of them (they about 5 minutes away), but they are going out of town as well.

Sooooo...the boys will be alone from Friday night thru Monday afternoon. We don't know anyone in the complex and don't have any friends in town, so no one will be looking in on them. I bought 2 of those dry food dispensers that we'll leave out for them with plenty of food, we will put out an extra litter box, keep the radio going, hide some treats to keep their senses active, keep the air regulated, and leave the windows open to give them a view.

I've just never left them alone before. They've always had a friend to look in on them. Has anyone left their pets alone? Can you give me a "suck it up, they'll be fine" punch on the shoulder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

The radio is a good idea. Multiple water dishes, right? I remember reading about someone calling home and "talking" to the cats via the answering machine.

Sounds like you've thought this through quite well.

<punch, punch>
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, we have left our cats for up to four days at a time with no one checking on them. More than that and we call the pet sitter.

Like Tim said, multiple water dishes are key in case one spills. I always put out at least one big container (a gallon or so) of water that won't evaporate completely. I don't fill the sink or leave toilet seats up -- don't want anyone to fall in!!

I also do a major cat-proofing. I turn off the breakers to items that aren't needed or are a fire hazard, like the dryer and the stove. I shut our laundry, office, and all the bedroom and bathroom doors -- this makes for fewer rooms to worry about.

We try to leave everything as clean and clutter-free as possible -- not easy to do with our kids.

Lastly, I unplug everything in the rooms where the cats will be. Granted, I have kittens who knock over lamps and chew things, so I tend to be extra careful. And, it's a small chore to ensure less worry.

We take short trips regularly and have never had a problem. I'm sure your kitties will be just fine!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Cool Cat

We do two night trips away and the cats seem to do okay. One thing we're going to start doing is setting up our webcam to point to the where the cat feeder is. Then, when the feeder is set to dispense food, we can check online and get a glimpse of the cats...really just more of a peace of mind thing and getting to see our babies while we're gone!

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Multiple water dishes, right?
Well, we have a Fresh Flow fountain for them. That was actually another question I had. Our fountain needs refilling about ever 2 days. I don't want it making that horrible *sucking* sound for a whole day and risk tearing up the motor. Should I just leave some water in the fountain and some bowls of water out, too? I hate the thought of just leaving water out to get stale (standing water AND dry food only?! Perish the thought!).

The other option is to plug the fountain power plug into the outlet timer so that it cycles water only a few times a day/night for a few of hours at a time. What do you all think of this?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Cool Cat

We turned our Fresh Flow off before when we left since we didn't want it to run out of water. For some reason, our cats are not nearly as enthused about fresh flowing water as we thought they would be anyway.
Last time time though, we filled the tank to the brim and then also filled the output area up really high...it still had enough water when we came back after two days. In your case, since you will be gone a little longer, it might be best to just turn it off.
Remember to be careful of timers that you set them right. On our automater feeder, my husband meant to set it from 12:27 to 12:30, meaning it would dispense food for three minues. Instead he set it from 12:30 to 12:27...that's right, it spit out food the WHOLE time we were gone! We came back to food all over the floor, kitties who were heavier, litter boxes filled with poo and also some poo on the floor. I don't even want to think about how much dry food they ate.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlanon
Remember to be careful of timers that you set them right. On our automater feeder, my husband meant to set it from 12:27 to 12:30, meaning it would dispense food for three minues. Instead he set it from 12:30 to 12:27...that's right, it spit out food the WHOLE time we were gone! We came back to food all over the floor, kitties who were heavier, litter boxes filled with poo and also some poo on the floor. I don't even want to think about how much dry food they ate.
I'm cracking up at this! ROTF! It must have been yucky to come home to, but your description was too comical.

Thank you for your advice on how to deal with the fountain. I think that's what we'll do. Sounds great!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
I remember reading about someone calling home and "talking" to the cats via the answering machine.
You know, Tim, we actually talked about doing this with this trip! We've not had a home phone until now (didn't need one with cell phones and cable internet), but now that we do, we can call the answering machine and leave messages for the boys. But, then we decided that it would probably just freak the boys out because they'd hear our voices, but wouldn't be able to find us! So, we'll just let them have a few lazy days without us. Aww...I'm going to miss them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

I liked the idea of the timer when I first read it, but then I thought that's not going to prevent it from running if the water runs out. But then having to buy a new fountain isn't all THAT expensive if your cats really like the running water. Otherwise, I think just turn it off but supplement the fountain with several bowls of water placed elsewhere. If your cats go up on the counter or the bathroom vanity, then maybe leaving a water faucet dripping as a last resort.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
it spit out food the WHOLE time we were gone! We came back to food all over the floor, kitties who were heavier, litter boxes filled with poo and also some poo on the floor. I don't even want to think about how much dry food they ate.
LMAO!!! I'm sorry, this is too funny!!

I'm sure at the time it wasn't, but you must look back and laugh at this! Cat gluttony -- it's like a Monty Python movie!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page