Proper Harness Size - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Proper Harness Size

I took Stormy outside in her harness and leash today. She walked around our apartment breezeway and even made it out to the steps. I'm hoping that she gets a little more mental stimulation from getting to be outside and that eventually I can take her for walks. For now she seems content to go very slowly and sniff everything around her.
I want to do the same with Justin. However, both the harnesses I bought were "one size fits all" and one size does NOT fit Justin. It is rigged with some wire to work and I have tried this on him indoors but I really need a "real" harness. There are some at the local pet store that come in different sizes. I'm sure a small dog type would work. They have different measurements on them (I glanced today). How should I measure Justin and figure out what size harness he will need? I don't want him getting jealous that Stormy gets to go outside and he doesn't. I'm also sort of hoping that if they associate going outside with having their harness on, they won't rush the door (although they don't do that *too* often now anyway).

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Premier Cat

How big is Justin? I use a small dog harness on Snickers -- he's about 14 lbs. (down from 19 ). It fits pretty well, though I need to tighten it up a bit now that he's trimmer.

You could measure aroung his "waist" and his neck to get an idea of size. However, the small dog size should be fine unless he's a smaller cat.

I hated the cat harness I had. Like yours, it was one size fits all. Mine was a piece of junk. The dog harness is much better quality.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

He weighs about 15 lbs right now... ...we're trying to bring that down again. Stormy only weighs 10 lbs and the one size fits all harness has very little room to spare on her. It seems to work okay...I will check it out against the other harnesses and if the others seem to be built much better I will maybe get her another one too.
The dog harnesses come in various sizes and I think they have measurements on them (I need to look again)...I'm hoping maybe the people at the pet store can help me and if need be, let me exchange the harness for another one if the one I get doesn't fit.

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned

I bought the very smallest dog harness and that works fine. The size is 14 inches. It's the "H" type harness. (I think the "figure 8" harness is too easy to get out of.) But you can measure your cat around the chest, and the harness size corresponds to the chest measurement. If you have a very petite cat, there are ferret harnesses available.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, ferret harnesses? I can't even imagine how a ferret would look on a leash!!

I agree with Tim, the figure 8 harnesses look uncomfortable and slip off too easily. The small dog size sounds like it should work for you.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Does anyone have pictures of a figure eight and/or an H harness so I can know what they look like? I searched but didn't find much. Did find this though...a ferret in a harness!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... &N=0&Nty=1

Shannon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

That ferret in a harness...I can't tell you how funny that is to me. **rolls on floor laughing**

Sorry if there are any ferret owners here.

Shlanon, several months ago someone ran a thread on harnesses and posted photos of the different types. Have you tried doing a search of the forum?

I'll try to describe them: the figure 8 looks like an 8 -- it is two circles touching each other (there is a math term for that **scratches head**).

The "H" type has two adjustable straps with clips -- one going around the body and one that goes around the neck. These are connected by two straight straps. One lies on the cat's back, and the other on the chest and stomach.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:17 PM

I use a small dog harness and it works on all my kittes varying weights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page