Litter Box & Flea & Tick Questions! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Litter Box & Flea & Tick Questions!

I didn't want to post one cat questions after another flooding the forum so I combined two questions in one thread.

Litter Box Question:
I was wondering, should I put a litter box outside for Angie? I know she probably does her thing in the woods, but should I still put one out there for her?

Flea & Tick Question:
Should I spray her with flea & tick stuff I used on my dogs? It's by Adams Flea & Tick Spray & it's meant for dogs & cats. Even the one I used on my dogs it shows a cat on there and it gives directions for spraying cats/kittens. Should I? Would it harm her babies been that she is pregnant? Sorry, I'm new to this cat stuff.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Cat Addict

I'll be concise...

1) no.

2) absolutely not.

thats just my 0.02, others may be able to elaborate more ( i'm pressed for time right now ).

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 AM

1. She probably wouldn't use it and it would be a waste of money to buy one, not to mention if it rains and the litter gets wet etc - icky!

2. Particularly if she is pregnant, you shouldn't use anything on her that is not vet prescribed. Very few flea & tick sprays work to begin with - and there are a lot of problems with non prescription ones. If you look at the sticky about Hartz products... the newer chemical that is used must be prescribed and therefore I wouldn't trust anything that isn't.

You are better off just leaving her alone and not trying to do anything to her, especially if she is pregnant as she may see you as a threat. Just leave a blanket out for her to sleep on and feed her is the best you can do. If you think she is pregant and she is approachable, you will need to contact your local no-kill shelter about her so they can make sure the kittens are ok and find homes for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Cat Addict

thanx icklemiss, I was in a hurry an couldn't elaborate. Also most commercially available flea and tick meds for dogs contain an ingredient very harmful to cats, reguardless of what the lable says. I also only use prescription stuff just for cats and only when absolutly necessary. And +1 on the litter box, you'd just be wasting your money and time cleaning a mess the cat didn't even make. She's an outdoor only cat, take advantage of the benefits...

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Premier Cat

Agree with the above. Definitely do NOT use an over the counter product. However, depending on where you live, I would not not treat for flees. If you live in a warm climate like I do flees can be a problem that must be addressed. I use Advantage on my cats and it works very well. (Flees LOVE me, so I know!) It's derived from enzymes that are supposedly harmless to cats and people. No chemicals. There's also Frontline for flees and ticks but I haven't used it. But if you think she's pregnant you must check with your vet before you use anything. They would want to weigh her first anyway to give the right dose. With Advantage it says to apply once a month but I only do it about every 6 weeks or so and it's fine.

Victoria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thanks everyone! I won't treat her. I won't put a litter box out there then. Thanks.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 PM

Catlover, I don;t see why you can;t put Advantage or Frontline on her....she will bee much more comfortable without fleas. It is a good idea for her to see the vet anyway, especially if she is pregnant, and especially if you are going to make her your cat.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe
Catlover, I don;t see why you can;t put Advantage or Frontline on her....she will bee much more comfortable without fleas. It is a good idea for her to see the vet anyway, especially if she is pregnant, and especially if you are going to make her your cat.
I didn't think you could use those on a pregnant kitty?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:35 PM

I think Frontline is safe for pregnant cats....of course, she should double check with the veterinarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page