one cat, two litter boxes... downsizing to one, advice?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

one cat, two litter boxes... downsizing to one, advice??

Hi all. Well it's almost been two weeks since I've had Sampson, and he's usually his litter boxes religiously.

However, my purpose in setting up two was that he was new here, and I wanted to make sure he had access to a litter box whenever he felt the need to eliminate

I have one in the kitchen, and one in the front bathroom. I am in condo, so the boxes are literally like 25 feet apart.

My initial intention was to eventually remove the kitchen one, and put the bathroom one in the back bathroom, however, I'm taking this one step at a time.

Right now I want to take out the kitchen one. He uses both, but only poops in the bathroom one, LOL!!

I have a feeling he will do fine without the kitchen one, but just want to get some advice as to how I should do it.

Do I just remove it? Do I put anything in it's place? I could move it slowly closer to the bathroom, but that's going across the living room w/carpet, and I'd rather not have it on my living room floor.

Advice or suggestions on how to be this transition good for both of us??

Thanks!
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 11:05 AM

I'd either leave them alone, or slowly move the one from the kitchen to the new location.

Also, it sounds like he would perfer having two different boxes for the two different types of waste. No having the second box could lead to bigger problems. I would certainly leave two boxes, even if they are right next to each other.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
maybe you could slowly move the kitchen box to the back bathroom and leave the front bathroom where it is?

A lot of cats do better with two boxes (especially after getting used to them). It may not be a problem, but it could be. I can certainly understand not wanting a box in the kitchen, but I think one in each bathroom would do just fine.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Banned

When I did this, I just took the plunge and took away one litter box and it worked out fine. But there's always a risk doing it that way. You say the box in the bathroom he only poops in? Maybe he's one of those cats who likes to do #1 in one box and #2 in the other box? In which case you're really testing his willingness to do both in one. Hmmmmm. I'm sure you'll let us know how your experiment works out, right?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:00 PM

When I did this, I also just took the one away and hoped for the best. They seemed to be using the two in the same manner as yours, but adapted fine to one right away... Hope you have the same success!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I agree. Even if it's a mistake, you will have only one "mistake" to clean up, and you can start again, moving it gradually. I think one will be fine. (I hope so, or we're all in big trouble! )

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:54 PM

I'd make one change only at a time.

If you're taking away the kitchen one, I'd just remove it, without anything in its place. Just check periodically to make sure he's not doing #1 there. I'd also religiously scoop and clean the remaining box to be sure he keeps doing his business in his bathroom.

Put the kitchen litterbox in the back bathroom. Then when he's familiar with going there, then take the front one out. (If you can, maybe consider leaving both.) Check the areas often to make sure he's going to the right place.

Good luck, please update us as you make the changes, we'd like to know how it goes.

EDIT: Oh wait, I re-read the section where it's only been 2 weeks in your current setup. So I guess you could do both moves at the same time, and keep an eye out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page