Help!! Cat Flu - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Help!! Cat Flu

Hello there

I was at my Dad's farm earlier today where I found a stray little kitten, he wasn't scared at all when he seen me in fact he came straight up. When I saw him up close his eye was sealed shut with a discharge, his nose was running and he was wheezing. I took him straight to the vets who diagnosed him with cat flu, they gave him antibiotics, drops and cream for his eyes.

He is only 3/4 weeks old and I think he was stranded from his Mum so I've decided to take him home and treat him. Has anyone elses cat had the flu? I think he has quite a severe case of the flu, will he be okay and is there anything else I can do to help him get better!! I've got kitten milk but he is very reluctant to take it, I've tried a dropper but he wheezes when I feed him.

Someone Please Help!

Thanks
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi Debbie. I have reared plenty of kittens with flu, and have just recently rehomed a litter of 4 who I had from 5 weeks with really bad flu & conjunctivitis. They took 2 weeks of medication to recover. Some take less, some take more. Some kittens who suffer from flu are permanent carriers.

I would persist with the medication, keep him warm and clean, and lots and lots of TLC. Most kittens taken from their mum dislike the kitten milk initially, but do come round. It's important to remember that because he has flu, he can't breathe as well as he normally would through his nose, nor can he smell properly. Althoug hhe's still very young, it really is worth getting some mushy tinned kitten food and warming it up slightly to encourage him to eat. Some kittens need a lot of encouragement, others tuck right in. If he won't eat or drin kanything and you are not confidently getting the milk into him, contact your vet, as he could get dehydrated very quickly.

Good luck, and keep me updated!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

I recently went through this with my little shelter kitty. It's very common. You can also try baby food. Mine liked lamb or beef best. As said above, dehydration is a danger so you can use the dropper to give a little water. Also, I used chicken broth ( lived on that for a couple of days- all he'd eat.) And make sure when you're feeding him to point the dropper into the cheak so he doesn't choke on anything. To yest for dehydration try pulling up the skin on the back of his neck (between the shoulder blades). It should bounce back into place, if not his dehydrated. In any event, if you're not able to get enough into him bring him into the vet were they can administer iv fluids (probably a good idea anyway, not just to help dehydration but also to just help flush his system out). I did have them give my guy fluids. I also would steam him a couple of times a day. I'd run the shower with hot water 'till the bathroom was nice and steamy and the just sit in there (not UNDER the hot water!) for 15 or 20 minutes. It really helped his breathing a lot. Then I'd make sure he was extra warm when I brought him out (all wrapped up in a towel) so he didn't catch a chill from the temp. change. And make SURE you finish the entire round of antibiotics even if he seems better!
It can be very scary, especially when they are lying there gasping through their mouths, but most kittens make it through with care.
I hope this helps. Let us know how he does!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Help - He's dying!!!!

Someone please help, I woke up this morning and my poor little kitty was hardly breathing, he has gone all limp and can't move!

I've got him in the bathroom with the water running to steam him, I've given him water but he doesn't look great. I've called the vet but they can't make it for ages yet (calfing season)!

I don't want him to die!

What else can I do to save him?!?!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:33 AM

Go to An Emergency animal hospital if one is near OR call one and they can help over the phone perhaps, Other people here will know alot more than me!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 AM

How is he? I hope he's pulling through
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Nope he is fading fast!!

We live in a very rural area so getting hold of a vet is very difficult and animal hospitals are unheard of.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:04 AM

Could you not leave now and drive to the nearest town if theres one close enough? There has to be somewhere you can take him for help Are you in the UK or US?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

We live in the UK and the nearest town that might be able to help is about 150 miles away which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive!

My boyfriend has him wrapped in a towel so he is warm and comfortable and I guess we will just have to hope for the best.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

There is a bit of hope now!

I've been feeding him a little every hour and the last time when I set him down he sat up and shaked the milk off of is face!

I'm not wanting to get my hopes up just yet though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page