Why do I still have fleas?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Why do I still have fleas??

All four of my girls have Frontline Plus on them and I'm constantly going over them with a flea comb. I've sprayed my furniture and every nook and cranny with Zodiac FleaTrol and then I shampooed my carpet with Enforcer Flea Spray for Homes. So why on earth are my cats still scratching and why do I still get a ton of fleas off of them with a flea comb?? Only one of them is an inside/outside cat and the other three are inside all the time so whats going on? The flea sprays are supposed to kill fleas for seven months. Shouldn't the Frontline have killed all the fleas on my cats within 18 hours? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:27 PM

I am no expert but I would think they should have a flea dip bath.

Another tip is to put a flea collar inside your vacuum bag,
otherwise the fleas can just crawl back out of the vacuum cleaner.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Premier Cat

WoW! I would check with your vet before a flee dip if you just put frontline on. You may have to wait a bit. The flee coller in the vacuum bag works well. Also, you may have an infestation under your house. I use 'Feebuster' and haven't seen one since. Other than that, I'm stumped!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Premier Cat

P.S. Even if the flees are gone your cats may still scratch. The bites still itch. If it continues they may have flee allergies and you might try a topical ointment to soothe them. In VERY extreme cases the vet will give cortizone but I'd avoid that unless you've exhausted ALL other options and your cats are suffering.

Victoria
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to go ahead and see if its alright to do a flea dip and get a flea collar. I put old flea powder in my vacuum cleaner to do until I can pick these things up. I seriously don't know whats going on. I have never had a problem like this before with my girls and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the little weiner dog the people had before I moved in. I moved here at the end of October last year, do you think the fleas could have hatched from eggs or something from then?? All I know is warm weather came and bam! there were fleas everywhere. I also know they did not take care of their little dog as the back bedroom carpet was littered with dog feces and urine that I had to clean up. I ripped the carpet out, cleaned the wood with chemicals, and replaced the carpet. Thats the only room in my house that does not have a single flea. Funny you mention cortizone, I have been putting cortizone on my son's fleabites to stop the itching and dabbed a little on the back of my black cat's head while I was at it. I figured she couldn't get to it there and it looked really nasty. Now it looks so much better, but I wont do that again. Thanks for replying! Btw, BoscosMum, your baby is adorable!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks Chloe....

Here is another idea for you...maybe others will have an opinion on this one....My parents have flea problems in their area, they have 2 dogs and 1 cat. They swear this works to treat their carpeting.
They sprinkle with it Borax...let it sit for a few hours before
vacuuming it up.
Borax is very inexpensive.
I have also heard the Dawn dishsoap kills fleas...another inexpensive tip.
They wash their dogs with it...(so do I)
But for the cat they just put a few drops of the dishsoap in the bath water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Premier Cat

Yes flee eggs can survive for a long time and hatch in hot weather (disgusting!)
Boric acid does work well (NOT ON the cat though!!)
I would NOT use Dawn or other cleaning liquids (or human soaps) on your cat as the ph is not right for them and can lead to skin problems. Use a shampoo made for them.
Good luck!

Victoria
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 AM

I think the fleas are more damaging to the cat than a little Dawn
dishsoap in the bathwater...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Cat Addict

I've also heard good things about Dawn dish detergent for fleas, especially for kittens who are not old enough for prescribed flea meds. The Dawn smothers the fleas and its generally safe for the kitten.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 PM

I agree with all that is said. Another quick remedy for the fleas in the vaccum bag would be to freeze it between uses or seal it in a plastic bag to kill the fleas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page