nuking fleas out of our apartment - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

nuking fleas out of our apartment

We think our kitten has fleas. We saw several fleas today--or it could have been the same flea--on our futon. Once we killed it, we haven't seen one since. To be on the safe side, we're planning to nuke our apartment with Raid flea spray. Has anyone used this before? I've read several good comments about it on epinions.com and other websites, but I want to see your opinion.

Also, we live in a one bedroom apartment and it's really not feasible to take our cats out. Will this plan work? We were planning on spraying the living room and kitchen area with the spray. Washing our clothes (any detergent you recommend?), vaccuming and all other tasks necessary to rid our apartment with fleas. While spraying the living room and kitchen area, we were planning to keep the cats in our bedroom--or the bathroom--for about an hour or so while the spray dries. Once it does, we'll spray the bedroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean our clothes? Our cats occassionally go to the closet. I'm afraid our clothes have all been infected with flea eggs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

p.s.
our kitten wasn't on advantage b/c the spca said she was a bit too small and too young for the treatment. do you think it's a bad idea to give a 2 lb, 2 month old kitten advantage? (obviously, very little of it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:33 AM

I'm not sure what the weight requirement is for advantage, but if they said don't use it, don't.

I've never heard of raid flea spray. When my cats had fleas a few years back I used a spray on the upholstrey, etc and a powder on the carpet. I did it similar to how you said. I kept them locked in one room, did the other rooms. Then let them out and did the room they were in. This was after I gave them flea baths and put flea collars on them.

Make sure you wash all their bedding....and yours if they sleep on it. I just used my regular detergent in hot water.

I'm sure someone else may have more suggestions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 AM

I would reccommend using boric acid powder instead. Sprinkle it all over the carpet, including under the bed and the sofa. Smoosh it down into the carpet with a broom, then let it sit overnight. Vaccuum it up and throw away the vaccuum bag. This is far less toxic than Raid spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. where can i get boric acid powder? should i do anything special for our clothes? is this toxic? If hwe have to leave it over night, i'm afraid our cats will find this powder interesting--to a point that one of them might lick it.

i will call our vet and ask her what she thinks about advantage on our kitten. a behavioralist said use half of the smallest package (i'm assuming the one for cats 8 lbs and under), but i'd rather ask a vet first.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Definitly ask the vet first.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM

Boric acid is non-toxic for you and your pets. You could probably find it at a drug store or Home Depot. I used fleabusters, but it's basically boric acid, too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

i bought boric acid from Walgreens. i think it's a generic version since it's only called boric acid.

i also called our vet and she said we should treat Kit with Advantage tonight. Tonight is going to be a looong night.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2
I would reccommend using boric acid powder instead. Sprinkle it all over the carpet, including under the bed and the sofa. Smoosh it down into the carpet with a broom, then let it sit overnight. Vaccuum it up and throw away the vaccuum bag. This is far less toxic than Raid spray.
where did you keep your pets when you did this? i don't want my pets to get sick from the boric acid. i was planning on using advantage on Kit tonight and using Boric acid in the bedroom. Since our cats rarely go the bedroom, I figure this is the best place to start. I'll let it sit there overnight, and then do the rest of the apartment tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Dust the apartment with pennyroyal leaf powder.

I think you can get it from a health food store.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

one more thing--should clean out the litter boxes? can flea eggs live in the litter box? i clean the litter box every week and a half. i just cleaned it--but should i clean them the same time nuke my apartment with boric acid?

that's my final question--honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page