Cat Harness? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Cat Harness?

A while back I posted an urgent please because our crazy Spanish moggy Ooof had got himself tangled up with a horrible sticky flypaper which I couldn't get off. He is now clean and shiny again and we are working on getting him his "pet passport" so that he can travel with us between Spain and the UK whenever we need to do so. He has had his microchip, rabies jab and blood test and will be all set to travel from February 4th next year.

As we have a very long drive throughout the whole length of Spain and France before we can get on the cross channel ferry and then another 8 hour drive to our English home (total about 3 days) I have been debating how best to travel with him in the car. He doesn't seem to bothered about a car trip - he cries for a short time and then settles into his cat carrier. I have a covered litter tray which he is happy to use if he is given some privacy but I'm wondering if the safest way to have him outside the car is with a harness and lead? He thinks a harness is great fun but spends all his time leaping in the air and trying to walk backwards or rolling on his back and playing with the lead and I end up carrying him! This is OK normally but if we are stopped at the roadside I can't think of any other way of expecting him to perform and my husband draws the line at driving with a used litter tray in the car.

Is there anyone with any tips about how to persuade him to be more sensible on the harness (it's the type which goes from his shoulders down his chest to a band under his front legs rather than a collar extension type). Or any other suggestions about how to travel with him in the car for such a long journey? The alternative is a flight but the airports in the UK accepting pets travelling with a Pet Passport are few and far between.

Thanks
MiriamO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

PS

Someone asked me for a picture of Ooof as he gets bigger so I'm experimenting with photo bucket. Hope I have this right! He will never be a big cat (typical southern European with a VERY short coat and skinny build) but I think he is definitely showing off his Siamese genes. Although he was a stray I have a pretty good idea that his mother is a Siamese coloured cat in the same street who lives in a garage used as a rabbit and chicken breeding shed and is used solely to keep down rats, ie not fed independently. As to the crossed eyes - I have no idea unless that is also Siamese. He is certainly not deaf!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM

i know there is some kind of air freshener that can have a great calming affect on cats- i always see it at petco-

hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Re: PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamO
Someone asked me for a picture of Ooof as he gets bigger so I'm experimenting with photo bucket. Hope I have this right! He will never be a big cat (typical southern European with a VERY short coat and skinny build) but I think he is definitely showing off his Siamese genes. Although he was a stray I have a pretty good idea that his mother is a Siamese coloured cat in the same street who lives in a garage used as a rabbit and chicken breeding shed and is used solely to keep down rats, ie not fed independently. As to the crossed eyes - I have no idea unless that is also Siamese. He is certainly not deaf!

LOVE those crossed eyes!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmatiger
i know there is some kind of air freshener that can have a great calming affect on cats- i always see it at petco-

hope that helps
It's called Feliway, is expensive and didn't work for my cats. It's probably not available in Spain anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page