Exercising...and the cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Exercising...and the cat

I've decided to drop some weight (I don't like being 155lbs and 5'2"..I can change the weight, not the height). Now I know diet and exercise is the way to go, but the last time I tried exercising, Scotty decided that my legs were a great new toy (Teo Bo and kitties do NOT mix).

I don't want to HAVE to lock him up (I plan on exercising an hour at a time, starting 3 days a week), but I think I might.

What's the best way to go about it? I don't have a tv in my bedroom (and his litterbox is in the utility room right off the bedroom) so I can't lock him out of there. Should I lock him in?

I can just hear his howling now, acting as if I'm murdering him.

Btw, I plan on doing pilates and Tae Bo (both are instructional videos).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Good for you, starting an exercise program! Sorry, I don't have much to say, maybe lock Scottie up and turn the video up loud so you don't have to hear him??

I just want to commend you for exercising, don't let kitty talk you out of it!

Good luck!

PS I go walking outside with a very chatty friend. We hardly know we're exercising!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 PM

I'm lucky... I work at Curves, so I get to go workout there for free. But yes, I agree, don't let your cat be a deterent (sp?). There are just certain times the cat has to be locked out, and for you, this may be one of them! Put some toys in there, or even make feeding time (if you don't free feed) be your workout time. Eventually scotty will get used to it. For a lot of the women who come and work out at curves, they tell me it is "their time" and as much as their kids don't want them to go/want to go with them, they just put their foot down and say that this is for them. Same thing goes here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emskie
I'm lucky... I work at Curves, so I get to go workout there for free. But yes, I agree, don't let your cat be a deterent (sp?). There are just certain times the cat has to be locked out, and for you, this may be one of them! Put some toys in there, or even make feeding time (if you don't free feed) be your workout time. Eventually scotty will get used to it. For a lot of the women who come and work out at curves, they tell me it is "their time" and as much as their kids don't want them to go/want to go with them, they just put their foot down and say that this is for them. Same thing goes here.
Yeah, that's understandable. Tonight I managed to do a 20 minute Pilates workout and the Instructional Bill Blanks Tae Bo tape (don't have them on CD cuz a friend gave me the tapes for free). The moment I laid/lied/whatever (I can NEVER remember those) he went for my arm and into lockup he went! Brandon then came over and distracted him from me so I could exercise without kicking the cat or the cat attacking me.

I think my exercising took about an hour. I feel really good and am having a low fat sandwich with cottage cheese for dinner. If I'm still hungry, I might have a bowl of special K.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Banned

Yes, just stick him in there and shut the door. He'll get used to it and probably just curl up and sleep.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Yes, just stick him in there and shut the door. He'll get used to it and probably just curl up and sleep.

HA! Even when he was sick and peeing all over the place with a UTI, I had to turn a fan on all night to drown out his cries. I swear the neighbors probably thought I was abusing him!

I think what can happen is a tag team effort...during pilates, Brandon can play with Scotty, and such. After pilates and before Tae Bo, I'll feed him and play with him a bit more.

Hopefully, he'll stay away during Tae Bo, cuz I don't want to kick him.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Cool Cat

Maybe you could taylor your routine to include him somehow. Maybe your warm-ups could be something to wear him out. I have a regular fishing pole with a mouse on that really works well, except eventually they come back stronger. My diet is all veg lunches(2) mostly. I can't sleep when I'm hungry at nite and I usually can mix the all veg thing in for breakfast once in a while. I'm looking to lose 35# and like to run wind sprints but I get a big appetite when I work out alot. Good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Cool Cat

Emrldsky I'm lol, cats are sooooooooooooooooo about them! Geez, I can't even go to the loo without one of em crying to get in.

Shari
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 PM

I do tae-bo, too -- my cats LOVE to lay around and I either work around them or just move them.

Have you added the Billy Bands to your workout? My cats love to paw at them when I'm using them, lol.

When I do any type of crunches, one of my cats comes over and licks my ears and plays with my ponytail. Another one decides it's time for lovin' and comes over and head-bashes me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page