Blonde cats and deafness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Blonde cats and deafness

Is this true, I thought this was an old wives tale?

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:32 AM

I know of a lot of white cats that are deaf. Mostly with blue eyes, correct?

The same goes in dogs as well.

Now in dogs, it can also be combined with blindness after a few years....does that ring true with cats?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Most white cats with blue eyes are deaf, but not all. And most white cats without blue eyes aren't deaf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Some white cats with blue eyes are deaf; mine was not.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 PM

My mother had a large long-haired white cat who was deaf. He had one blue eye and one green/gold eye. I have heard on various animal planet shows that white cats (and dogs) are more likely to be deaf than non-white pets, especially if they have different eye-color....but not sure how accurate that info is.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:10 PM

There is a gene in cats that causes deafness in white cats... this same gene causes blue eyes in these white cats. Not all blue eyed white cats have this gene, however. Some odd eyed white cats can be deaf, too. Pure white cats will either have orange, blue, or a combination of both colored eyes. I have two odd eyed white cats, one who is normal, the other who is completely deaf. Apparently, Annie, the deaf one, has the gene I was talking about above. I have more info on it from my veterinary manual (No... I'm not a vet, just aspiring) and can post it if you would like more info.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You forgot about green eyes. I had two white kittens, one with blue eyes, one with green eyes. Both could hear.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 AM

My cat has one blue and one green eye, often odd eyed cats can be deaf on the blue side and have normal hearing on the other side.

unfortunatly Heski is completely deaf but we did not realise this until he was about 4-5 months old as both his eyes were still the baby blue that all cats have when they are kittens. Even if we had of known this we would still have chosen him regardless of deafness or not, you cant help but love him!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 AM

My mom's deaf white (blue eye / green eye) kitty was the coolest! His favorite thing in the world was to be vacuumed with a hand vac or attachment from the large vacuum. He would "mark" it with his cheeks, rub against it and then roll around on the floor as if to say, "Here I am! Vacuum me!"

Since there was no sound (which terrifies my hearing kitties), and it vibrated like a massager...he LOVED it! It worked nicely, too...he was long haired and shed quite a bit. This kept that under control.

If you have a deaf pet, give it a try!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
My mom's deaf white (blue eye / green eye) kitty was the coolest! His favorite thing in the world was to be vacuumed with a hand vac or attachment from the large vacuum. He would "mark" it with his cheeks, rub against it and then roll around on the floor as if to say, "Here I am! Vacuum me!"

Since there was no sound (which terrifies my hearing kitties), and it vibrated like a massager...he LOVED it! It worked nicely, too...he was long haired and shed quite a bit. This kept that under control.

If you have a deaf pet, give it a try!
Annie likes to chase it as I vacuum, but the size of it scares her sometimes, since she is only 4 months old. But, she once rode on top of it while I vacuumed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page