My Angel sucks!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

My Angel sucks!!!

My cat angel has a habit of whenever she lays with me or my wife she turns and sucks on here left side almost like shes feeding. Angel will do this until she falls asleep. I asked the vet and he seemed unsure of what to say. Does anyones else's cat do this, can anyone explain why she does this. I just assume its like a kid sucking thier thumb, but its wierd she only does it when she lays with someone. She never does it by herself. Any response would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 PM

I have heard of this happening before. I personally don't think it's anything to be conserned about. She probably does it around you guys because she is comfortable. My can't doesn't suckle but he does kneed a lot. If i hop into bed and fluff up the blankets he will kneed (when kittens are feeding from their mom they push on her belly to stimulate lactation...i think that is how it goes) around the bed for like 10 min. He purrs loudly while doing this and if you bother him he makes this weird meow sound. I think kneeding and suckling is a sign of contentment but I think maybe it could be also that they were taken from their mothers too soon (I got Willis as an adult so I don't know if this is true for him). I really am unsure, but this is what I think.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

She does also push with her paws it kinda hurts if i dont clip her claws because she likes to sleep under the blankets. I've had lots of cats but Angel is different. She has the most personality I've seen in a cat. She is sleeping in front of my keyboard right now. She never leaves my side.
As far as leaving her mother to soon its true with here I got her when she was a little kitten. I think she spent little or no time with her mother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:37 PM

If you can show us some pics! She sounds really cute.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Most cats knead for comfort, but those who suck on blankets or arms, ears, etc., were probably taken from Mother cat too young. So, you're her source of comfort now. You're the mom!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Exactly what Jeanie said...My bug does the kneading and sucky thing too, Bug was very young when I found him, not sure on how old he was, but he was too young to be from his mom...

I found him along side the road when I use to drive a school bus (thank god there where no kids on the bus..hehe) I stopped and picked him up, I am guessing he was about 5 weeks or younger and he was FULL of bugs...So he came home with me and I nursed him back to health

Hes 5 years old now and still does the sucky thing usually a blanket or my arm, shirt, whatever is available to him...LOL....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

Sounds like a really sweet cat. Did you say how old, or did I miss it? Sometimes those kittenish behaviors diminish when they get older.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Premier Cat

It's pretty common in kittens probably when they're taken away from their Mum too young as people have said.
I've had three cats over the years who have done that. One sucked on the inside of my elbow all his life, another on my T-shirts all his life and my little one now (11 months!!) used to suck on my ear. He seems to be outgrowing it. So cute.

Victoria
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I have pics but no scanner. She is a mix with a siamese( i know I spelled that wrong.)She is white and grey with blue eyes. Angel is probably about 9-11 months old. She always sucks on her side when she lays with us I'm pretty sure she wont stop. The only thing that worry's me sometimes is that she gets a little blister on her bottom lip.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Cat

My Cleveland was taken from his mum a wee bitty too early and he really kneads like mad. When he was little he used to lie beside me in bed and suck my finger then go to sleep. He did grow out that though.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page