Enrolling for VPI Pet Insurance - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Enrolling for VPI Pet Insurance

I just enrolled my two cats for pet insurance with the VPI web site, never thought I would do that but because the bill for the other one's hyperthyroid is going to hurt I figured I better. Looks like about $22 per month for both on the standard plan.

Anyone else have any advice or experience on pet insurance, who's good, and what to look out for?

http://<a href="http://www.petinsura...om/</a> <br />
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 PM

I've enrolled both of my dogs in pet insurance. I figure the dogs are more likely to have some sort of trauma than the cats.
Plus, both of my cats already have preexisting conditions that would be excluded and those are the most likely cause of any emergency bills anyways.
You do know that the thyroid won't be covered correct?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yes, she's a senior too, so they gave me a phone number when I tried to add her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Banned

Do they cover a pre-existing condition right away, or do you have to wait a year?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Tom Cat

I recently signed my two girls up with VPI. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet so I can't speak to how painless the claims process is but it gives me some piece of mind. If you do a search here on pet insurance you'll find several companies that people have their cats at. Not that many people have posted about filing claims... cat forum folks take good care of their fur kids!

As far as what to watch out for when you compare plans... obiviously what's covered, how they deal with pre existing conditions or don't, limits on actual pay out per incident and/or year, deductibles, any age limits when they will drop your pet, and whether or not you can go to any vet you want to. I believe all the plans I looked at you had to front the money and the insurance company reimbursed you. You mentioned that your cat is a senior so you probably have several other issues to consider that I didn't.

I asked my vet if she had any experience with any of the three companies I was considering and she said that she's filled out claim forms occasionally. She said that no one's complained to her about the insurance company but of course if you had a problem you would be complaining to the insurance company not the vet so I dont' know that that's very helpful. VPI is the company that my vet has pamphlets for, again I wouldn't say they endorse the company necessarily aside from confirming that it's a legitimate company.

Like any insurance you need to read the fine print and it's mind boggling at times. I guess this long winded post probably isn't much help but like I said, do a search and see what everyone else had to say.

Good luck!

Kel
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Hi there... I have VIP pet insurance for one of my scottish folds who is now 4. It has come in handy for teeth cleaning and his vet visits. I have the superior plan. I still have to get it for my 6 month old Tonkinese kitten though. I decided to get the insurance because when my late cat Shadow was 9 he had to have a kidney removed and it cost me $1700... if I had known and had pet insurance it would have saved alot. I want to be prepared for the future so I have it for at least one of the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page