New Kitties???????????? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
GP

New Kitties????????????

Ok - here's the dilema...... Our family had a community cat (with child - by all indications ) take up with us. She has remained outside and seems to have been doing fine. From everything I've read, her delivery date should be anytime. Today, when returning home, it seemed somewhat obvious (to my novice eyes) that she had delivered. In a short while, I noticed her going in and out a small hole under a log. (large trees and rocks border our property). I went to the spot to check and found nothing. However, she appears to be guarding the hole. Each time I got near it, she would go in. (this "hole" under the log and rock is not very large and is easily visible from the front). Could she have had the kittens somewhere nearby and just using the "hole" for a safe place to monitor? I'm concerned only because there are quite a few dogs that roam the area, and I don't want them to say "hello" to the little ones. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 PM

I would guess she has the kittens in the hole - but this is just a guess. Mommy cats can squeeze into tiny areas with their litters. Watch her closely. If she suspects someone has found her kitten location, she will move them: one at a time, to a new place.

Not only do you need to be aware of dogs, but also of un-neutered male cats. They are probably more of a threat. An intact male cat will kill a litter of kittens which then brings the mommy cat back into a "heat" so he can breed with her. It may even be one of the fathers of the kittens (there can be more than one male who is responsible for a litter).

I had a sad situation when I was 18. A community female had her kittens in a neighbor's shed and a stray tom we took in (and neutered, but he was older when neutered) would kill a kitten one-by-one and leave them by our back door as a gift to the family and maybe to "show off". I managed to save one kitten and the mommy. I kept the kitten and got mom a new home.

Watch her closely. The area she is protecting is most likely the location. If you see her going from one place to another repeatedly, she is moving her babies.

Good luck! I hope you manage to find a safe haven for the mom and her little ones. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page