Hi, Help me choose a breed to Love! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Help me choose a breed to Love!

Hey guys and girls im new and im have a heart set out for a cat. But I'm so indecisive about what to get. I want one that is really cute.. .and will hopefully stay cute throughout the rest of his/her life. One that will maybe maintain most of the features as they were a kitten. I prefer the smallest breed actually since i dont like the bigger cats.

I've researched Munchkin kittens but the breeders are selling them for so expensive. I prefer a mostly white cat or grey is fine too! Tuxedo is cool too! However my main concern is size and maintaining kitty features in the face area.. haah i dont know if that makes sense. I read taht females tend to be smaller than males so im pretty sure i'll want a female.

Can anybody give me any advice as to what kind of cat to get? Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:22 AM

Welcome!

You'll have to read about different breeds to see what may interest you.

Good luck!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:53 AM

I think you might be being a little too selective. Yes, if you get a female and spey her before 6 months, she will be petite. I think if money is an issue, you would be better of looking at local shelters - you never know what might be there to grab your heart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Banned

Female cats are generally smaller than male cats. So I think what you want to do is go to a shelter and look for a cute, small female cat. Look for a cat that is calling out to you "Me!! Me!! Take ME home with you NOW!!" and I promise you that you'll choose exactly the right cat.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Don't skimp on the money if you want a purebred cat. It's well worth the investment to go to a GOOD breeder and can save you money in the long run in vet bills!!!!
Try a shelter and look to see if any of the adults there have those kittenish features you're looking for!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 AM

I would say check your local shelter first , older cats are loving and cute! Also you can save on vet bills and such since they usually do all vaccines and such for you.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Hi! Welcome to catforum!

I also suggest a shelter. It may seem like a lot to spend $100 on a cat that is mixed breed, but these cats are also up-to-date on vaccinations and spayed or neutered...you can't get this done for less than $100, so it is just a "donation" to off-set the vet fees. If you have a PetSmart close to you, they have a room with a few kitties that need homes. I have seen a Bengal for adoption there, and have also seen 1 year old females that were beautiful and petite.

As far as purebred cats, the munchkins are adorable. Rarecat (member) has a lovely munchkin, if you want to see pics, look for her posts and pm her. She can also refer you to the breeder. I don't know how much they run as far as price, though...but I imagine they are costly.

We have a foundling kitty (Jazzy) that our vet claims to be full-breed Russian Blue...I think she is just a blue (what they call grey kitties) mixed breed. She was spayed young and is petite. She has an amazing personality, too! In my experience, spayed females stay small. Even my two males, which are tabbies, are fairly small...they were neutered young. I would describe them as medium in general.

Good luck finding the kitty you are looking for! I do hope you will consider rescuing a shelter kitty or pound kitty...saving the life of a pet that would love you as much if not more than a pure kitty.

Hope this helps! Once again, welcome to the forum!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Just get an adult cat...then you know EXACTLY what you are getting
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Female cats are generally smaller than male cats. So I think what you want to do is go to a shelter and look for a cute, small female cat. Look for a cat that is calling out to you "Me!! Me!! Take ME home with you NOW!!" and I promise you that you'll choose exactly the right cat.
I always love what Tim has to say, and he is right on the money this time as well. The thing is, whenever I've ever gone to a shelter, every kitty in there is meowing ME, ME, take ME home with you! I got Mickey from a shelter when he was 6 months old. He was in a cage with his sister who looked almost exactly like him. (tuxedo/black & white). It was a tough choice. They were trying to talk me into taking both but I could only take one, so I took Mickey. He is now 7 1/2 and the love of my life. Before him, I had had nothing but Blue point Siamese, and I really loved them, so I didn't know how I would feel about a "regular" cat. I needn't have worried. I now have 3 other "regulars". A reputable shelter supplies all the required vet care such as shots, spay/neuter, etc. I am very happy with my babies.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
You should have gotten his sister, too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page