Tyson's Hair, Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Tyson's Hair, Help!

So our rescue, Tyson, is coming along wonderfully. He gets along with my other two furkids and is getting the hang of "playing". He's in good health...but...his hair is falling out. He sheds a LOT. I could make myself a fourth cat if I gathered it all and gave it life. Now shedding I get. I grew up with dogs and yeah, fur falls out. But should it be coming out in my hands, root and all?? It doesn't bother him in the least. It makes me think of dogs that need to get their coats stripped, but he most definitely is not a wire-haired pup. I could just grab a pinch of hair, and with the slightest twist it just comes out. Is this some kind of skin condition? When the vet first saw him his fur was also falling out like this, but he didn't seem concerned. I don't care about the hair, I can just vacuum that, but does this mean he's ill? He eats wellness and evolve, wet mostly, and drinks plenty of water. I'm afraid he'll end up with no fur by winter! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 PM

Does he wash a lot? or have dry skin? or a skin condtion fo any kind?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Come to think of it, he does bathe himself often. And he has dry skin, lots of flakes. Mind you he looks a lot better than he did when we found him two/three weeks ago (scarred up emaciated cat with a brillo pad for fur).

His coat is soft and all of the matts and grime are gone - but the hair just keeps coming out as I pet him. So then it could be from the excessive cleaning? How does one remedy that? Already I've encountered my first hairball event, and I'm sure he would like to avoid it as much as I do. He REFUSES to eat anything that says "stops/helps treat/controls/etc hairballs". I tried treats, gel, and olive oil, and I kept getting growled at - so apparently he wants to play hardball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Have you tried vaseline on his paws?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Jeanie - We tried the vaseline and it didn't take. Tyson was quite happy rubbing it on his head and then his head on the pillow

I did read of someone using butter on this site, I think, and he definitely went for the glob of unsalted butter. But really, my more immediate concern is that his hair is falling out in my hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about the hairball as he had a hard time getting it out, but I think if I can stop his hair from falling like it is then the hairballs will ease up. Has anyone else experienced this? Hair just coming out in clumps? I'm going to start supplementing his food with vitamins (he refuses the vitamins I give Baz and Cassis) and hopefully that will help. But if it's from the excessive bathing, then what?

I'm just a bit perturbed at having his fur come out, root and all, everytime I just nudge him, and I'm sure Tyson wants to avoid the "plucked chicken" look what with winter coming. I love my furbabies to bits and pieces, but sometimes it's...just...argh!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blynkk
Jeanie - We tried the vaseline and it didn't take. Tyson was quite happy rubbing it on his head and then his head on the pillow

I did read of someone using butter on this site, I think, and he definitely went for the glob of unsalted butter. But really, my more immediate concern is that his hair is falling out in my hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about the hairball as he had a hard time getting it out, but I think if I can stop his hair from falling like it is then the hairballs will ease up. Has anyone else experienced this? Hair just coming out in clumps? I'm going to start supplementing his food with vitamins (he refuses the vitamins I give Baz and Cassis) and hopefully that will help. But if it's from the excessive bathing, then what?

I'm just a bit perturbed at having his fur come out, root and all, everytime I just nudge him, and I'm sure Tyson wants to avoid the "plucked chicken" look what with winter coming. I love my furbabies to bits and pieces, but sometimes it's...just...argh!
The only time I've ever seen that is when Scotty had ringworm. It was only in one spot though. Sorry I don't know more. Have you thought about it maybe being ringworm??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, I don't know. The vet drew up bloodwork for Tyson, and a skin culture but he never bothered to call me with the results. The only reason I know that Tyson is FIV/FeLV negative is because I had to take Cassis in a WEEK later. But no word on the fungal culture. I don't think it's ringworm though - his hair is falling out of every discernible spot and the skin is fine. Albeit a bit dry, but nothing that resembles an outstanding skin condition. It's...like...someone must have seen the movie "The Craft", right? Remember when the blonde girl (same chick who played Marcia Brady later on) started just pulling her hair out? Well, sorry for the gruesome image, but that's exactly what it's like. I think the only thing left really is to wait and see. Maybe it's because he was so malnourished and his body still needs time to recuperate, or maybe it's the excessive licking...maybe he just likes making life difficult for me, who knows anymore...

PS emrldsky: I was admiring your ring on the other thread, NIIICE!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Cool Cat

Man something doesn't sound right Blynkk. Call the vet back even if it isn't something medical I still would want some sort of an explaination? You must be freaking out . I know I would, poor kitty. Keep us posted with Tyson.

btw I can't keep straight who is who, so what's this about emrldsky and a ring, you mean as in jewelry?

Shari
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

HA! Tell me about it. This vet has had me coming back since February for ear infections with the other two cats, and really, I am still pretty unhappy with the cursory check up he gave Tyson. You would think that he would have been really thorough seeing as I brought in a cat right off the street, but alas such is not the case. So I just left a voicemail demanding - politely - that I be given those test results and that the vet, not his assistant, call me ASAP in the morning. I go there often enough that I should have my own VIP recliner in the waiting room.

Oh, emrldsky posted right before my previous post, you can see her sparkler in her avatar

Thanks for the suggestions guys! It is very much appreciated.

Monica
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot
Man something doesn't sound right Blynkk. Call the vet back even if it isn't something medical I still would want some sort of an explaination? You must be freaking out . I know I would, poor kitty. Keep us posted with Tyson.

btw I can't keep straight who is who, so what's this about emrldsky and a ring, you mean as in jewelry?
Yeah, I recently got engaged.

Thank you Blynkk, I love the ring myself. I love showing it off to everyone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page