Possible Stray! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Possible Stray!

I live in an apartment complex with 7 building and 12 apartments a piece. I have seen a cat hanging around the side of the building across from for about a week and a half now. I finally made contact with it today. It is lovable yet a bit skittish and seems a bit straggly and underweight. Anytime I am home an am passing by my kitchen window I see the cat outside along the side of the building. I went out tonite and didn't see it at first but then I saw it laying underneath a bush next to the building. It doesn't have any tags on it. I brought it some treats and water and left it alone. As soon as I got in I changed my clothes and washed my hands and my legs.....I hope that is enough to prevent the posssibllity of disease transfer to my kitty. anyways...I am going to call our the apartment manager and see if she knows anyone who has a cat in building C or thereabouts with long grey hair. I doubt many people here even tell the landlord (although you are supposed to when you move in intially). I just wonder what else I should/can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 PM

Have you got a rescue centre near you, that you could call, maybe they could come and pick the cat up and give it a new home etc?.

Over here in UK we have the RSPCA that come and rescue cats that have been left, abandoned etc.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

We have a very good shelter here in burlington. I wouldn't mind bringing the kitty there myself. I just want to see if I can find out if it belongs to anyone first. I just sent an email to the apartment manger. Hopefully I hear back tomorrow. It is such a beautiful kitty. I wouldn't mind owning him/her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
We have a very good shelter here in burlington. I wouldn't mind bringing the kitty there myself. I just want to see if I can find out if it belongs to anyone first. I just sent an email to the apartment manger. Hopefully I hear back tomorrow. It is such a beautiful kitty. I wouldn't mind owning him/her.
Ar right I c. I would do the same thing as your self.
Have you look in the paper at the lost and found section?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I looked in the 3 local papers and didn't see anything even close to matching. It probalby belongs to someone in the complex. they probably either just rarely let it in or maybe they just decided they dont' want it and won't let it back inside. I think the cat at least belonged to someone once. It seems pretty affectionate.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

If you're thinking about taking the kitty in, do you have an area in your place where you can keep him seperate from your kitty? If so, I'd just take him and post notices around your building asking if anyone is missing their cat. I'd also check the local paper's lost and found. If there's no response you've got yourself a new kitty!
That's how I got my Little-one. I took him off the street outside my building 'cause I was afraid something would happen to him. I had no intention of getting another cat but by the time I realized no one was going to claim him (boggles my mind, he's SO wonderful!) I was in love and there was no way he was going to another home.

Victoria
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:33 PM

Humm I C.

Lexx the cat I have now was a stray. I had done anything that you are doing now.

So what I would do next is like what was said before find out off the complex manager, if she/he belongs to someone, then take her/he to the centre and adopt her/him.

Just make sure he/she gets along with your other cat first.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Premier Cat

P.S. I did also contact all my local shelters to see if anyone was looking for him and faxed them photos to post. I had him scanned for a micro chip too but, of course, he didn't have one.

Victoria
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I was planning in a few weeks to take one of my friend's kittens. I am unsure of how this kitty will get a long with my adult cat. This cat seems full grown. I figured getting a kitten would be better because the kitten will grow up with my kitty. The other thing is there is no way of me knowing before hand if the cat will get along with my cat since If i were to take it in i would need to keep it in its own room away from my cat. I think this would be hard since I only live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. I am going to see if i can get a reply from the apartment manager and see if the kitty is outside before I go to work tomorrow. I got to work at 5:30 am so if the kitty is still outside I am going to assume it was left out all night and has been out since at least 3 p.m. today.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Ok fair enough comment.

I would just like to add that whether the cat is a kitten or an adult cat. It depends on how you introduce the new cat to the old, which will determine on how they would get a long in future.

i introduced 4 year old cat (Casper) to my 6 year old cat (Duke) which now he has sadly died due to illness, and there were a few up and down at first, but they got along fine within a month and spent the next 4 years getting along fine together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page