Concerned mommy needs help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Concerned mommy needs help!

Okay, first off...I know that this is a cat forum, but I know there's some animal experts on here that can help. And everyone's been real helpful in the past with my cats so I thought that this was the best place to ask about my dog (plus I can't find a good dog forum...does anyone know of any?).

I have a 7 month old bichon frise who likes to chew on things....his mommy and daddy, wood, chew toys, his three feline siblings, and our computer chairs. Well, last night he did something new, he started chewing on wires.

We have a radio in our computer room and our dog started chewing on the electrical cord (ya know the cords that have the seam running down the middle so they have a left side and right side?). Well, he ate (as in swallowed) about an inch of one side of the cord.

Now I'm all panicky. He's done two doodles (i.e. #2) this morning and we've checked both thoroughly....we see the black coating from the cord but we don't see the copper wiring.

Should I rush him to the vet? Could this kill him? He's acting fine, he doesn't act sick or anything. Will it cut up his insides? Or will he just pass it eventually? Help!

(My dog growing up once ate several blue disposal razors and passed them. So everyone's telling me not to worry. But she was a black lab, my dog is a lot smaller. So I'm concerned.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Cool Cat

Yes, take him to the vet. You'll feel better too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Premier Cat

Djinn call your vet right when they open this morning.
They may want you to bring him in.

I know you probably wanted to hear it is gona be OK
but I wouldnt take any chances. Maybe someone else
has had this experience and can comment. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM

I agree with Mitts...definitely take her to the vet. And please let us know how she's doing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Yes take him to the vet just to get it checked out. He is probably fine, but you want to make sure.

Also,

In regards to the chewing...if you give him lots of alternatives to chew on....i.e. toys, rawhide, bones, etc., and spray bitter apple (at pet stores) on things you don't want chewed, that should help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Keep a very close eye on him, and when he's unsupervised - crate him. If he's so into chewing things at the moment, a crate would be best to protect him from himself.

Oh, and if you're looking for a great dog forum, I run one!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Update....

I called my vet and several others in the area (I wanted a second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth opinion). All the vets said that he should pass it by tomorrow but to keep an eye on him and call if I notice him acting "funky", puking, bloody stool, etc.

He has his puppy training class this evening, after which we plan to buy some of that bitter spray to put on some of the accessible wiring in the house (though, it never worked on our one cat...she liked it!).

I think what it is...he's teething, but....his upper canine adult teeth came in weeks ago (actually, nearly two months ago) but the baby canine haven't fallen out yet, they're not even loose. We've noticed him chewing on things a lot more than normal the last month possibly because of this? *shrug*

Emma,
What's the address for the dog forum you run?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Premier Cat

Its funny cuz I found Cat Forum from someone posting it on the Greytalk forum! for greyhound owners and wana bes like me!

Here is Emmas site!
http://nl.forums.cc/phpbb/index.php?mforum=ruffdogs (I looked in her profile )
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
catman also has a dog forum:

http://www.dogforum.info/

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page