Jesse's really sick - Update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Jesse's really sick - Update

I know I haven't posted here in the longest time, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing.

Jesse had a sore on his neck for a while, although he plays rough with his brother Tony so we assumed it was just a scratch wound and kept it clean with chlorihexidine. But yesterday he started acting extremely lethargic so we took him in to the vet. Turns out the sore was some sort of just spontaneous bleeding. There was also blood on the thermometer after the vet took his temperature. She did a CBC blood test and his red cells were off the charts low and his white cells were off the charts high. We rushed him to a 24 hour care place, where the doctor decided he needs a transfusion. Unfortunately, he has the more rare of the blood types for this area (type B) and they didn't have any B blood. We rushed Tony up there, but he has type A blood, so he isn't a match. They did some sort of artificial blood transfusion, but they really need actual blood in order to make him really feel better. But that won't cure him, either, and they ruled out the most treatable things that could be causing this: rat poison and blood parasites. He probably has some sort of cancer. They already did x-rays and they're going to do an ultrasound today. He made it through the night, which is good, but he's not doing so well. He's such a shy cat so being up at the vet with all the noise and the barking dogs might actually stress him so much that he dies. Anyone else gone through this? Anyone ever heard of a cat making it through this? He's such a sweet little guy, and I love him so much - I'm so scared for him. I think we might have to euthanize him today. I don't want him to die in that horribly scary, stressful place, so we're looking for a vet who will make a house call to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
*HUGS*

I'm so sorry. I wish I had some suggestions

I'll be praying for you and for Jesse.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry about Jesse. My thoughts are with you both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your support... I also forgot to mention he's only 3 years old.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Tom Cat

I am so sorry to hear about Jesse. If the worst should happen I hope that you can find a compasionate vet to come to your home and make Jesse's transistion as peaceful as possible.

Kel and the girls
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Good news - we found a type B donor. Now he'll have a little more strength - maybe they'll be able to do a test that will save his life without stressing him so much that he dies in the process. But we really need to think about euthanasia, still. I just don't know what to do - I don't want to feel like I didn't try, but I don't want for his last minutes to be in a strange place where he's scared. I just want my baby to be ok again.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Jill, God bless you and Jesse. I like to give my animals every chance to live. I don't give up unless the vet says they're suffering and there's no chance of a good life. Then I know I've done my best for them. Stay with him at the vet's while he has his treatment. You are more important than the location. I know they get nervous away from home, but you might be adding years to his life. Please keep us updated.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

An update... very sad, I'm afraid.

We've decided that we're going to take him home tomorrow and have a vet come here to put him down either tomorrow evening or Sunday. They've narrowed it down enough that anything that could be causing this is fatal. At most he'd have a few weeks of being sort of okay, and then a horrible death. Tonight he's getting a blood transfusion so that maybe he'll be a little better so that he can enjoy his last day here at home. We did give him every chance... but we went to visit him tonight, and seeing him lying there with not even enough strength to lift his head or keep his eyes open very long made us realize that it's just not worth doing any kind of aggressive treatment that will ultimately just prolong his suffering.

I hope we're doing the right thing here. I think I feel it's best... he's suffering so much. I can't look at him without breaking down. My sweet little Jesse so weak and completely out of it. I just don't want to make him suffer any more.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Cool Cat

Big sympathy from us. I believe my cat is getting close to kidney failure and did search on what to expect if I have to have her put to sleep. Here's some links.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/euthanasia.htm

http://www.thefuneraldirectory.com/eu_expect.html

I don't know what else to do, but hope this helps in some way for you. God bless you for trying so hard to save him.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Premier Cat

My heart goes out to you. Im
sure he knows & feels your love and devotion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page