Low Light Cat Safe Plants - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Low Light Cat Safe Plants

I'm looking for some good low light plants that will not harm my cat. I don't have a green thumb, so something hardy would be good as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Cool Cat

I'll be watching the posts to your question. I love plants and have been dying for a parlor palm which would sit on the floor as opposed to hanging in the window. I'm aksing for trouble, I just know it.

Shari
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM

Can't wait to see the replies to this one! My apartment is surrounded by trees and very dark...and I have no patio, but I love houseplants. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Bamboo stalks are pretty and don't require a lot of light, however, one of my cats, Benny, likes to eat them . I didn't know if it'd be harmful, so I got rid of it. (But Sid never touched it before I got Benny...)

Katie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Cat Addict

Unfourtunatly, most low light plants are toxic, though some more than others.

Philodendrons and pothos are good for lower light conditions, but are toxic. I have a few of these, but I am sure to keep them in hanging baskets high out of reach from the kitties.

Chinese Evergreen, Sansevieria and Dieffenbachia are also excellent for low light but poisonous. I can't reccommend keeping them if you have pets (or small children, for that matter), especially Dieffenbachia, but I have know many people that have these plants and cats without a problem.

Members of the very popular Draceana species are mildly toxic, usually causing irritation rather than serious illness. These plants include the Dragon Tree, Corn Plant, Lucky Bamboo (which is actually not bamboo at all), as well as many others. I have a corn plant and the cats have never been interested in it, aside from trying to use the trunk of the plant as a scratching post . I also have several lucky bamboo and a dragon tree, which do need to be kept out of reach because the cats like to try to chew on the long thin leaves. I'd say it would be okay to keep these plants around as long as they can be kept out of easy reach.

As for plants that ARE safe:

Most palms are not toxic, and they will tolerate low light. I had a beautiful one of these until a rabbit and two young cats came into my life. They had managed to strip the leaves and stems from it in no time. As reprot said, getting one of these is just asking for trouble.

Some ferns also do well without bright light and from what I've read, are not toxic. You could try a boston fern or another of the similar varieties.

Spider plants are considered safe, and they will toerate low light for a while, but will do much better in a brighter location.

I really can't think of any more, except maybe a Coleus, which most people don't keep as a houseplant.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page