Mateo is limping.....*UPDATE* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mateo is limping.....*UPDATE*

I'm not sure what to do. It is his front right leg. He seems to put a little weight on it when he is sitting. When he walks he takes it completely off the ground and just hops on the other threee legs.

I looked him over and he looks and feels normal. I think he may have strained or sprained it last night jumping onto or off of something. He is kind of clumsey.

I am going to start reading through the books I have for some suggestions. I figured I would try here too. I'd like to watch him for a bit before I race him ointo the vet. Should I put ice or heat on him or something. I'm trying to get him to lay with me and rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Well most of the day has past and he is still not putting any weight on his leg. I've been watching him like a hawk to make sure the other cats and dog don't bother him.

I can't see anything in his pad. He will let me touch his paw and leg too, but I can't feel anything different.

It looks like I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow unless he has some kind of improvement.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Premier Cat

How old is he? Velvet after sleeping for a long time will favor one limb or another when she first gets up. It passes quickly though. I have been told she probably has a touch of arthritis as she is eleven years old. It doesn't seem to be causing her any great pain and she seems to be able to "shake it off" pretty quickly. It also varies from limb to limb, it isn't aways the same one. She is just getting to be an old girl. If she was overweight a diet would be recommended, but that isn't the case

This is a long time to be limping for it to be arthritis, as that is generally a chronic problem that worsens gradually. It seems to me a good sign that you are able to touch the leg and paw without upsetting him.

Hope he is ok, let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

He is only a little over a year. I actually am not sure how old he is. I got him in January and the shelter estimated his age at a year. I always felt he was a little younger than a year when I got him. So roughly a year and a half.

He has never had anything like this happen before and it has been going on since the wee hours of the morning.

He does play with my dog....sometimes rough. So there is the possiblity that Boomer stepped on him and hurt him. But I don't really remember them playing too much last night.

He is clumsy and sometimes misses the jump from the ground to the window seat and has to pull him self up. He hasn't been much of a jumper since I got him. Yesterday I found him on top of the fridge where I keep a stash of dry food for a couple of my other cats. I have no idea how he made it up there. Like I said he has never been much of a jumper, plus he is a little overweight. I saw him after he was down and I don't beleive he was limping.

I'm guessing and hoping it is just some kind of injury and nothing more serious or chronic.

I feel so bad for him watching him hopping around on three legs
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:46 PM

He very well could have pulled something while playing, especially if he is beating up on poor Boomer
I think all you can do is take him in to get it looked at, especially if there are no signs of improvement by the am.
Let us know what the vet says.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Cool Cat

Brandy had a limp that seemed to be a sprain in the muscle between her front shoulders. The vet explained how the shoulders are not attached to bone(like ours in a socket) and a muscle holds them in place instead. She got some medicine and a butler to put her down from everything she climed up on.

I could only tell there was a problem when she was chasing her toys around she had a limp. I think she had jumped from a high spot. I don't remeber how long it took her to recover, but she did get better within a few weeks.

Your fella sounds like he's not weight bearing on one limb and that probally is something different. He doesn't know how lucky he is to have you watching out for him. Hope you get an easy one to fix, it's so hard to watch them when you know their hurting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Ugh...now he has diarehha too. I don't know if that is related. It could have something to do with the food he managed to sneak while on top of the fridge yesterday.

He hardly ate any dinner. Just a couple of bites Then he hoped over, went potty and hopped to lay down. I feel so bad for him
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 09:09 AM

I think the diarrhea could be brought on by the stress of pain. Not sure about that, but it would make sense to me. I think the best thing is to get him to a vet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

We just got back from the vet. They said it is most likely a soft tissue injury (sprain). She said she didn't feel any fractures. He got an injection and pills 2x a day for 4 days. They said if he doesn't improve in a couple of day to bring him back for an x-ray or if he has any swelling.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

Hopefully it is no more serious that a sprain and he is better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page