This is the terrible dilemma I face! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

This is the terrible dilemma I face!

Some of you might remember me from a previous thread. I'm the one who decided to bank her beloved cat's DNA so that he could be cloned some time in the future. This problem concerns one of the two remaining neutered cats I have. One has turned dirty. Actually, both of my remaining cats are dirty. One has sprayed almost his entire life, and now the other one has started. But it gets better. He is also pooping outside the litter box. I'll find little piles of cat poop on the plastic I have put up to protect the furniture from their marking.

It used to be an isolated incident from this cat, and because he usually did it right on the plastic, and it was easy to clean up, I looked the other way. But now it's becoming more frequent (the basement always smells!), and I can't figure out why. Other than the passing of my little fuzzy angel a few months ago, nothing is different in the house. The litter box is scooped every day and kept quite clean, and I don't know why this behaviour is escalating. He usually poops where the other cat has previously sprayed. I try to clean the plastic, but there's no way I can keep putting up fresh plastic. I would have to go around every day and do this in many locations. Not only would all this plastic being disposed of be terrible for the environment, but there just aren't enough hours in the day for all that I have to do. I don't need this on top of it.

Is there anything I can do to turn around his behaviour? Otherwise he is a very smart and very loveable cat. I don't want to do the unthinkable to either of them, but I may have no choice. I can't have this house ruined by a smell that can never be removed!

Any suggestions to help either one stop voiding outside the litter box would be greatly appreciated!! I'm desperate!! (Feliway hasn't worked for me.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

Re: This is the terrible dilemma I face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_lover_forever
... One has sprayed almost his entire life,... I'll find little piles of cat poop on the plastic I have put up to protect the furniture from their marking. ...because he usually did it right on the plastic, and it was easy to clean up, I looked the other way.... Other than the passing of my little fuzzy angel a few months ago, nothing is different in the house. ... He usually poops where the other cat has previously sprayed.
I've taken the liberty of quoting a few relevant remarks to help you understand why this is happening. You have cats that are marking territory. The poop as well as the spraying. Probably they are competitive dominant cats. Dominant cats mark with poop as well as with urine. Also, the passing of a feline companion is not "nothing is different" -- it's a huge change and a stressor. And I think this behavior is directly related to these things: 1) the marking competition, 2) it wasn't stopped previously, 3) the passing of the other cat (as the trigger).

This problem is most likely so deeply entrenched by now that you'll need the services of a professional feline behaviorist to analyze the situation and propose a behavior modification plan. If you don't know of one in your area, I'm sure your vet can recommend one. Be sure to engage one that makes house calls.

Sorry, I'm sure this is terribly frustrating.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
How is the DNA banking going, by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Are they neutered?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Dawn's question is really important. Even cats who were neutered late sometimes spray. For now, you could try confining her to a very small space at night, a powder room perhaps. Put the litter box in the room with her. Or use a dog cage. Most animals will not dirty their own beds.

If you haven't tried changing the brand of litter you use, try to find one your cats like. Also give each cat his own litter box. Often a cat who is urinating in the wrong place has a urinary tract infection. A trip to the vet might answer that problem.

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/litterbox.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=174

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

She says in the OP that both cats are neutered. Put your glasses on, ladies!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Premier Cat

No need to be rude, Tim. Have you never made a mistake? I believe you missed this part of my post.
Quote:
Even cats who were neutered late sometimes spray.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Premier Cat

Dawn, you're naughty!

Jeanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. As mentioned, one has had a spraying problem all his life, so I don't think a urinary tract infection is his problem. And the other was recently treated for having crystals. Now he's on a prescription cat food for the prevention of crystal formation. He's not currently showing any signs of of having this problem, but I'm going to keep watch for that.

First I'll try a second litter box where most of the trouble is happening, and see if that lessens the problem. Failing that, I'll try confinement in a pen when I'm not around to watch the worst offender. Then, if necessary, I'll see what my vet has to say about behaviour modification.

Thank you for inquiring about the DNA banking that I did. Genetic Savings and Clone was successful in banking my angel's DNA. Now I'm just saving my money, and trying to read any and all information I can find on the topic. GSC isn't offering up any new info at the moment, but I have plenty of time to do research. As much as I long for having a good cat in my life again ( He was perfect! ), I won't be rushing into anything without a great deal of thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page