My cats getting all beat up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

My cats getting all beat up

Friend of mine had to move to an aprtment because the land his house he rented got bought out. He took thomas to the apt. but after about 4-5 monthsthe rest of the people got angry with thomas climing and laying all over their cars. They told him to get rid of the cat or they would call animal control. He brought him over here and hes been here a few weeks and hes getting all beat up by the neighbors cat. He came in last week limping around but i couldnt see what was wrong. Tonight i heard alot of pounding and cat screaming and i open the door and the white cat ran off. Thomas jumped up the tree and hes **** near at the top some 20 feet up. I think his leg is all messed up from jumping from the tree.

My friend thinks hes about 7-8 years old. Is this to old for a cat? hes been neutered so i dont see why the other cat is fighting with him unless the othe rcat thinks our yard is his territory and he thinks thomas has invaded. I can tell my cat doesnt want to fight he creeps out of the house like hes on pins and needles.

He got in a fight when he was only a few years old and he took a claw in his left eye now it is half black from the iris damage or somthing so i know his vision is some what impaired to be fighting.

Is there anything i can do to push the other cat away so he atleast can relax in our own yard? Hes still all tore up from the last fight now hes gona be even more hurt and ill probobly have to take him to the vet if i can even get him down from the tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Premier Cat

Really the ideal situation is keeping him in. Esp if he doesnt have good vision, he runs a high chance to being run over.
there isnt really anything you can do about the other cat, you could try complaining to the owners but I doubt they would do much, as you said I expect this other cat thinks your garden is its territory.
If hes about 7/8 he is getting on, but cats can live up to the cage of 20. But I fear your little fellow wont reach that being outside.
I let all my cats go outside, so its not that I am against it. But they are all in perfect health, good eye sight and we dont have a problem with fighting here. (I think thats cause my guys gang up on anyone who wonders in hehe) But when 1 of my cats got ill, I kept her in. She cut her foot and couldnt walk well. I know how much of a nightmare it is, she cried and cried, but he health and welbeing is much more important.
If you can, keep this little guy inside.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like your kitty is not a good candidate
for being an outside cat. I hope he is up on his shots and
you took him to the vet. Cats are very territorial. The
fighting wont stop.

here an exert from an ariticle from the Humane Society

A Dangerous Tradeoff

When cats are left outside unsupervised, their freedom
to roam comes at a cost because they have a vastly
increased chance of being injured, becoming ill, or
even dying. The estimated average life span of a
free-roaming cat is less than three years—compared
to 15–18 years for the average indoor-only cat. Even
the cat who only occasionally ventures outdoors unsupervised
can fall victim to automobiles, predators, disease, and
other hazards. In fact, two out of three veterinarians
recommend keeping cats indoors, most often citing
dangers from vehicles and disease.*

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ca...cats_campaign/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 AM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Re: My cats getting all beat up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64
Friend of mine had to move to an aprtment because the land his house he rented got bought out. He took thomas to the apt. but after about 4-5 monthsthe rest of the people got angry with thomas climing and laying all over their cars. They told him to get rid of the cat or they would call animal control. He brought him over here and hes been here a few weeks and hes getting all beat up by the neighbors cat. He came in last week limping around but i couldnt see what was wrong. Tonight i heard alot of pounding and cat screaming and i open the door and the white cat ran off. Thomas jumped up the tree and hes **** near at the top some 20 feet up. I think his leg is all messed up from jumping from the tree.

My friend thinks hes about 7-8 years old. Is this to old for a cat? hes been neutered so i dont see why the other cat is fighting with him unless the othe rcat thinks our yard is his territory and he thinks thomas has invaded. I can tell my cat doesnt want to fight he creeps out of the house like hes on pins and needles.

He got in a fight when he was only a few years old and he took a claw in his left eye now it is half black from the iris damage or somthing so i know his vision is some what impaired to be fighting.

Is there anything i can do to push the other cat away so he atleast can relax in our own yard? Hes still all tore up from the last fight now hes gona be even more hurt and ill probobly have to take him to the vet if i can even get him down from the tree.
Thats bad! I think you should keep him inside from now on!

-HEYHWA
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM

That is so nice that you offered to keep Thomas for your friend. It's so unfortunate that he's going thru this with the other cat outside, and even worse, really nothing you can do about the other cat(s). It really made me sad to read that he "creeps out of the house like hes on pins and needles". I feel so bad for the poor kitty, and he has got to be miserable.

Thomas will defend himself in a fight, neutered or not, if the other cat is aggressive. Sounds like the equivalent of the neighborhood bully. The best solution is as others have already suggested, to keep him inside if possible. I know it's a lot to ask you, since you're just cat sitting, but please consider it. You're his only home right now.

I don't know how bad the damage is to his leg, and it may need medical care. At this point, the last thing you'd/your friend would want is a larger vet bill if he gets an abscess (infection) from a fight bite.

It's a lot more than you probably bargained for, and it's so wonderful that you're making the effort to find a cat forum and ask. Please let us know how things go and what you decide.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I can only agree with the others. You are very kind to have taken Thomas in. But he's just not safe outdoors.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
You can also borrow a cat trap from the local humane society, trap the white cat and then bring the white cat into the animal shelter. Then Thomas can finally get some peace and quiet.

There are so many sweet, innocent, homeless cats in the world. The world has no place for angry, aggressive, and belligerent cats.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
You can also borrow a cat trap from the local humane society, trap the white cat and then bring the white cat into the animal shelter. Then Thomas can finally get some peace and quiet.
Id be pretty peed if someone took my cat to the shelter, esp if it was put down
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
There are so many sweet, innocent, homeless cats in the world. The world has no place for angry, aggressive, and belligerent cats.
I think we'd do best to refrain from assigning human characteristics and attributes to cats. It's really not fair to them
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Trapping: Taking such a step escalates any potential situation to just plain confontational right at the start. Showing goodwill first gives a person better footing for later actions. Before this step is attempted, some earlier ones should be taken first, such as IDing the owner, finding out where the cat belongs, and discussing the situation with them.

We can only guess what the other cat(s) are like, and like Spacemonkey said, it's unfair to impose human characteristics on an animal. Looking at it in cat terms, they've been roaming their 'territory' before Thomas came, and *he's* the intruder to them, regardless of whose human back yard. It means the the cat will be 'aggressive' and a 'bully' in defending his neighborhood, but not in human terms.

Back OT: after typing the above, it occurred to me that one way for the cats to know there's someone new in the 'neighborhood' is whenever you have time, consistently shoo off other cats that you see in the back yard, with Thomas nearby. It won't solve the problem, but it may help a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page