Cat claw when perched above - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Cat claw when perched above

Hello everyone, I am a first-time cat owner and newbie to this site. Looks like an excellent source of amusement and information. A question I forgot to ask my vet about concerns my cat vigorously clawing at me if she is on a branch of a tree, on top of a shed or sitting on the backrest of my couch. Otherwise , she is always an angel and does not mind being handled. Any explanations for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Sounds like she is sharpening her claws

I would suggest getting a scratching post with sisal rope which she can stretch up on and claw. It may take a lil catnip to get her "trained" into using it but it is well worth it
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Welcome!! Your post painted a perfect picture. I could just see it.

Ditto DylansM's reply. Cats like to scratch on things - for exercise, to sharpen their claws, and to leave their scent (from their pawpads). You'll notice that she'll want a good scratch after she wakes up, to stretch. Who knew, kitty calisthenics.

You can train her to use designated scratching things, like the post, so she'll spare you and your furniture. There are many products out there - hanging ones, free-standing ones, horizontal corrogated cardboard, textures like carpet or sisal rope - and she may not like some of them, so experiment a little if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the above 2 replies, but I don't think lack of scratching, or me bothering her while she is scratching the shed or tree is the problem. She does this happily and I don't bother her. Her clawing at me only occurs when she is above me or perched in a tree. I would guess maybe she is upset I will cause her to lose her balance, but even if were both laying on the couch, and she is above me (on the top part) and I reach up to pet her while she rests, she will claw at me viciously. This will never happen if I pet her while she is resting on the floor or bed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
My only guess is that it is playful behaviour or that the cat is maybe displaying dominance of some sort.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for such quick attention, Dylan'smommy. Are you a Bob fan? I don't get the feeling she is playing, but you may have a point with the dominance issue. My guess is the higher she is (especially in comparison with me) the more power she feels she needs to exert! Oh well, this is so opposite to her usual good-naturedness.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Aha, misread the question, thought you meant she was scratching the top of the shed and the backrest! Disregard the earlier reply, oh well, it may be useful for newbies.

Hmmm, then nothing to throw out there. It's not the same situation, but my Pixie loves to play from up above. It's perfect when she's on the tree, and my head is right below. Attack city!

Hopefully others will have more ideas.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
the cat is maybe displaying dominance of some sort.
I would tend to go with the dominance explanation. I am almost positive I have read that dominate cats get the higher spots. Don't have an answer for what to do about it but am guessing that would be why anyway. My Wallace, who is the dominate cat in our household sleeps on the highest spot on the cat tree. I guess I would just let her be when she's up there but I'm sure someone who knows more than me would have better answers on what to do.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcontrol
Are you a Bob fan?
LOL My boyfriend is more of a fan than me

Dylan likes to swat at me when he is on his high scratching post - it's like he has a mad five minutes. He will crouch down and play "boo" with me then he swats at me. So I guess it could be a little of both. A display of dominance and a bit of playfulness added in
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

The cat is clawing you when you're trying to get her down from a high place, is that correct? Nothing unusual about that. My cats have done that. I think it's just a sense of leaving the security of a high place for your arms. It's not in the cat's nature to like being held. And it's especially a feeling of insecurity if you're grasping them with an arms-high hold. I just think the cat needs time to learn to trust you, to learn that you're not going to drop her. In the meantime, try to avoid these situations if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page