For those of you who own dogs too... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

For those of you who own dogs too...

... where do you keep your cat's food so that the dog doesn't get it?

I don't know about your pooches, but my dog thinks nothing is more delicious than cat food. I'd been keeping my cat's food on our entertainment system armoire but now we got a new TV and a simple stand and there's really no good place there anymore. So, I moved my kitty's food downstairs to my desk but the problem is that it's low enough to really entice the dog into doing bad things (like, um, standing up on her hind legs and eating the food anyway).

I'm trying to avoid some of the obvious places--like the kitchen counter or table--because I don't want the cat to pick up a habit of jumping up to those places. I'm curious as to where you other dog owners hide your cat's food? Maybe I'm missing something simple *shrug*

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 PM

When I had cats and dogs we would keep the cat food on top of the dryer in the laundry room. The door was always open and the cats could get leap up there and the dogs didn't even try.
Good luck =)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 PM

One I feed on a windowsill above the kitchen sink, so that wouldn't work for you. The other I feed up in her cat perch-it has a shelf.
For the litterbox, I keep that in the laundry room with a catdoor. The dogs can't get through the catdoor so that would also work for food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 PM

I used the dryer as well.....but then we got Lexi and she can't make the jump (tiny girl).

So I made a 'cat' room. I put a baby gate up.

But as soon as Jeremy is done building the kitty condo, we'll have a spot on here. He's building ledges that have little lips on them so they will hold bowls and the like.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Cat Addict

Another solution is to get the cat on timed, measured feedings so they eat their entire portion in one sitting. That way the dog is out of luck.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Cat Addict

we have the bathroom as kitty safe place the litter box at one end and the food at the other and a baby gate on the door so that way kitty also has a safe room if he needs to be away from the dog and the dog doesn't have anything she shouldn't. best of luck
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM

Each of my cats has a separate spot....one in the kitchen on a shelf thing, the other on a table in the living room and one... ...on the dinning room table. I have a tiny house so not too many places. I do have specific times of day they eat but still, I have to keep things high up. I guess I could feed them in the basement, never thought of tha latelyt as when they were kittens it was a little hard for them and the dog went to down there. He doesn't now because he's old and can no longer go up and down stairs. I always had to find creative litter box ideas too as that tastes even better than the cat food. Yucky Poo!!!! Anyway, I started the table thing when they were kittens and and they all just go to their spots so I haven't thought of changing. So the advice would be....anyplace high up that you can live with.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:15 AM

I have a baby gate in my kitchen doorway. The kitchen is the cats place.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 AM

I use baby gates. Also a spare room the dog doesn't go in and like other people, on their cat tree/perch.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 AM

I use a microwave cart that my sister wanted to get rid of. It's great for feeding and it has storage space underneath for the food and other supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page