We made it from NV to MN! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
We made it from NV to MN!

Hi all,
Well I am kind of new so nobody really knows me and Ive only posted a few times on here so far. But, a couple of weeks ago, I asked about traveling tips with a cat and got some suggestions. I ended up taking Cleo to the vet to get checked out one last time and also to get some kitty drugs. We got some Acerprozine (sp). I tested it out on her the day before we moved, but I couldnt tell any difference. But the next couple of days on the road...I could tell as she was more mellow and tried to sleep more, however she didnt get much sleep. She and I were in a big 26 foot rental truck and I had her food and litter box underneath the big bucket seats. She was able to hide under there if she wanted but most of the time, she got up and sat on the bench or tried to lay down to sleep.

As the trip went on...she spent more time close to me...eventually sleeping with her head on my lap. The first night at a hotel was bad because she just got all antsy in the middle of the night and wouldnt shut up...kept meowing like crazy and wouldnt stop. The second night was better, until a big ol electrical storm came through the area. Being a Vegas cat, I dont think she has seen any electrical, lightening or thunderstorms so the bright flashing lights and sounds freaked her out. Hopefully she will get more used to that as we are back in MN.

She is adjusting well to our new place too. I think she could tell something was up when she kept seeing stuff being taken out of our old apartment until she was the only thing left in there. She started sleeping in one of the cupboards and she has never jumped that high before either so she got some extra energy or something.

She is a big cat...not sure how much everyone elses weighs...but she is 13 lbs, our little fatty cat. She could stand to lose some weight so when she is out of her current food, I will switch over to some sort of Iams weight control stuff.

It was weird, today I went down to Southern Iowa to pick up my new motorcycle from my brother (he has had it for the past 2 weeks), and he is taking care of my moms dog and cat, Dusty. As usual, Dusty acted rather unsociable when I got in the house and didnt want to come out...and I dont think he even recognized me. I havent seen him since December and I figure I just wasnt in the house long enough today for him to come out and recognize me. But I held him up and everything and it was weird seeing, holding him compared to Cleo.

Anywho...babbling. We got Cleo from a shelter so I dont really know what she is...other than a fluffy cat. I think dusty is a short hair....is there a domestic long hair? What do you think Cleo is? Here are some pictures.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 12:51 PM

Hi, glad y'all made it there safe and sound. I don't remember the original thread, could you post a link to it when you have some time?

Both cats are just so pretty. The kitty with white bib/socks looks like my Ginza! Sure, there are long-hairs mixes, aka domestic long-hairs, and medium hairs.

As for weight, there's just a range that's common, nothing set in stone. I have 4 cats, and the range is 8 lbs to 15 lbs. Ginza is a really long large cat, and pretty sleek, and he's the largest. Pixie turned out to be a long cat too, and she's 11 lbs. Did your vet mention address weight when you went in?

Thanks for posting an update, and look forward to reading more.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
SK,
https://catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=227 ... ht=#227906

I dont know how a vet figures out if a cat is overweight compared to knowing that the cat is just a big cat. But either way, yes she did mention that Cleo could stand to lose some weight and that I should get her on some Iams weight control cat food. I dont really know how to tell but I figure she is overweight because: 1) I can see her belly sway back and forth when she walks; 2) she doesnt jump much (dont really think this is a sign...but she is the first cat Ive seen that doesnt really do much jumping); 3) she munches alot. She has a trough (dish, lol) that she just comes up and eats at throughout the day. She nibbles here and there.

Thanks for the comments on the cats...Dusty is the orange cat. We figure he is around 9-10 years old...but I thought he was older...10-12. Either way...he was at a house my brother lived in and that was a sad story.

Dusty didnt get fed much there...so when he did get food, hed eat it up fast...then get sick and barf it up a few minutes later. He was really skinny and looked like junk as he was an indoor / outdoor cat....got in fights and lost and all that. When my brother moved and came back...he didnt like the idea of Dusty living like that, so he brought him back to my moms. We took him to the vet, got him some shots and stuff....shaved off a chunk of his face so the vet could snip off a infection. Within a few months, he looked like a brand new cat...he got up to 10 lbs, eats when he wants from his trough (see picture), had lots more energy...etc. I just saw him this weekend and he looked pretty good.

Cleo...we got her from a shelter day at Petco or Petsmart back in January or February. Im not really a fan of black cats at all, but something about her, made me like her. She was 9-11 months old at the time they say. Marcie (my gf) says she might have already popped out some kiddos too...but I dont know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I can tell you all you need to know about Cleo! I love her! What a beauty...

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Premier Cat

Glad you had a safe trip back to Minnesota. Your kitties
are gorgeous! Hope they can adjust to the cold!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Premier Cat

So glad to hear the trip went well!
What beautiful kitties. Looks to me like she's a DLH. There's also a DMH.
I hope you don't mind my making a suggestion about the diet thing but I wouldn't recommend IAMS lite (or any lite food for that matter). I found with my cats that as long as they were on diet food and mostly dry food they remained fat for years! The minute I switched them to a good quality (they're on Wellness), mostly wet diet they slimmed down and have remained at good weights. I also stopped free feeding them so they only get 3 meals per day but some people just leave out a measured amount each day and that seems to work too. If you browse around this forum you'll find a lot of others have had the same experience so there might be something in it. Anyway, just something to think about.
Good luck!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page