animal survivors of hurricane Katrina to be euthanized - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

animal survivors of hurricane Katrina to be euthanized

I don't know if this is the right section to post this. There is no more room to house these animals and more are coming in. Temporary homes are needed right away to prevent those already rescued from being euthanized to make room for others. If you can give a temporary home to even one pet, it would make a big difference.

Rescued hurricane Katrina pets will be euthanized to make room for others in overrun shelters. Temporary homes are wanted right away to stop this from happening. Can you help give temporary shelter to even one pet? They will transport anywhere. ( if the number rings busy, keep trying, they have all the staff working to capacity)

PLEASE CONTACT FOR INFO

Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)
Home: 203 227 5308
Email: [email protected]

Transport Provided to Anywhere - Room Desperately Needed! (For the Animal Victims of Katrina)

There is transportation provided, with people ready and waiting, for upwards of 200 dogs and 150 cats so far rescued from the devastation of hurricane Katrina. What these animals need is a place to go. Kennels, boarding, vets offices, shelters with any extra space, foster homes and rescues. Even one or two open kennels would greatly help.

From what we know, all animals have been vaccinated and are in good health considering the conditions. There are dogs and cats of every breed and size. Some are in groups of two, three or four, hailing from the same family, while some are solitary. ANY KENNEL SPACE AVAILABLE CAN CERTAINLY BE USED. These drivers are willing to move these animals ANYWHERE they need to go. Absolutely anywhere.

The current safe houses for these animals are being inundated and some of these pets will have to be euthanized if they are not moved to make room for the incoming animals.

Please feel free to pass on this information everywhere. Every forum, every list, every community.

REMEMBER THESE ANIMALS WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO YOU.

If you know anyone, anywhere, that is willing to take in even one cat or dog, please have them contact Lynda at the information provided below.

They are also asking for ANY kind of donations for the animals - money, food, bedding, water, etc.

Please Contact Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)
Home: 203 227 5308
Email: [email protected]

Please contact at any time, day or night. These volunteers, rescuers and shelter workers are working around the clock.

Edit/ Jeanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
went to the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine's website:
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/

From the website:
Quote:
NOTE: Rumors that we have run out of room are NOT TRUE. We have plenty of space and are still accepting animals. We will remain in operation as long as necessary to reunite as many people and pets as possible.
I have checked the website, and this note is an exact quote. Please check this website before taking any other action. Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

This e-mail message seems to be all over the internet. Do you have any more info regarding the people or organization involved? The 203 area code is for CT.

I hate to be skeptical, but I wonder about the authenticity of this offer given that the information is so sketchy -- no last name, no organization, etc. Of course, this is a heart-wrenching plea, but it would be good to know if these folks are legitimate.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Premier Cat

Here is another organization working there right now. They are going to be sending some animals to Tucson with their owners I hear. They are setting up kennels at the convention center for the pets.

Many of you are probably already familiar with the work of Teri Crisp and her organization Noah's Wish. . If not you will love reading her book Out of Harms Way telling her story and how she became involved in disaster planning and rescue for animals.

Noah's Wish has set up operations in the Gulf Coast area in Slidell, LA. If any of you know people in the Gulf Coast with a need for finding shelter for their pets or are looking for their pet or who want to volunteer, here is their web info. UNFORTUNATELY as of a couple of days ago there it was hard to contact their temporary shelter people by phone or through the internet because the phones and power were out. That may have changed at this point. Their home page is http://www.noahswish.org/ and their info page for Hurricane Katrina is http://www.noahswish.org/Hurricane%20Katrina.htm Just briefly here is some of the information I lifted off their web page:

"Noah's Wish has setup a Disaster Animal Shelter in conjunction with Slidell Animal Control at the address below:

1325 Bayou Lane
Slidell, LA
(Located next to Heritage Park)

The pets are being housed at a temporary animal shelter and Noah’s Wish is working with Slidell Animal Control to coordinate the rescue of hundreds of abandoned and stranded pets in the city of Slidell. The Animal Control building sustained extensive damage during Hurricane Katrina. Noah’s Wish staff and volunteers on the ground do not have phone, cell phone or web access at this time and are unable to communicate outside the Slidell area. Noah’s Wish is asking that pet owners from Slidell not call or send email, as communication is limited. PET OWNERS WHO LIVE IN SLIDELL NEED TO COME TO HERITAGE PARK TO REPORT A LOST OR STRANDED PET. Noah’s Wish staff will be at Heritage Park from 8 am to 7 pm every day for at least the next 3 weeks. Pet owners must come in person to determine if their pet is at the shelter, as the number of pets being rescued is expected to reach the hundreds.

This temporary shelter will have the ability to house hundreds of animals. Trained Noah’s Wish volunteers, veterinarians, and veterinary technicians will work around the clock to provide medical services, care and much-needed love and affection to these traumatized animals. Pet owners may pick up food and supplies from Noah’s Wish volunteers in Heritage Park. Donations of pet food, blankets, dog kennels etc. may be left at Heritage Park."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
If I didn't already rescued five cats, I would do it.

Poor babies....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

The woman whose name is listed seems to be the one who is directing the operation for the shelters and other rescue groups. At least that's what it said on the forum I got this info from. I suppose the groups can't rescue and look into transportation all at the same time and anyone interested could always check into it further. It looks like they're traceable.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Cat Addict

Unfourtunatly, this isn't an update I was hoping to hear I feel so bad for those poor animals. I wish I could help, but I can't handle any more animals.

Some of the same information was posted in a thread here:
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24020
In the other thread, Kellz stated that this individual was from the LSU Vet School. The school is currently housing many of the animals that were rescued from areas hit by the hurricane.

I checked out the phone # and email. Both are valid and are registered to Lynda V.
I have not heard of anyone who has actually gotten in contact with this person, though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Cool Cat

Important FYI - someone may want to put this info in the original post:

I went to the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine's website:
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/

From the website:
Quote:
NOTE: Rumors that we have run out of room are NOT TRUE. We have plenty of space and are still accepting animals. We will remain in operation as long as necessary to reunite as many people and pets as possible.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Thank you for the info. I added that to the first post.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Premier Cat

I was listening to Diane Reem on NPR this
morning. She interviewed Trent Stamp from Charity Navigator
http://charitynavigator.org/index.cf...8/cpid/313.htm
They investigate and rate non profit organizations.
They even do ones related to pet rescue so we
know our money is being used for what we intended
it for and being used wisely.

They did mention contacting LSU website that
The Cat Whisperer gave the URL as a safe place
to donate.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Premier Cat

Here is Charity Navigators 241 animal charity rated ~ in alaphabetical order.
http://charitynavigator.org/index.cf...d=1&cuid=2#top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page