my room mate thinks they are his cats. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

my room mate thinks they are his cats.

I have 3 cats that are 5 months old. there are 2 sisters (Rattchet and Onyxia) and one brother (Blam). We got them because the mom (a stray) had them under the shed in the backyard. When we found them I asked my room mate if he would mind if i keept one of them. he said sure, then added he was going to keep one as well. then his girl friend said she would take the third cat. well its 5 months later and the girl friend never took "her" cat, and my room mate has not spent one dime on food, litter, toys, or the vet. I have payed for every thing for all three of them. on top of not helping pay for stuff, i can count on one hand the number of times they have feed the cats, or cleaned the litterbox. all they do is play with them maybe 5 min a day.
Well Im going to be moving out at the end of this month. Now my room mate's girl friend said, "awww... Blam is going to be all alone". Blam is my cat, the one I picked out when we first found them. Thats when i told her that he was not going to be alone because im taking all three of MY cats with me. Well she was floored, she ran to my room mate and told him what i said. He then told me that i couldnt have his or his girl friends cat. That didnt sit too well with me, so i told them off, and pointed out all the reasons they are not their cats. They realy didnt have anything to say other than "we'll pay you for whatever you spent on them". That would be fine except for two things, they dont have the money to pay me back, and my cats are not for sale.
that happend a few days ago, and it has not been discused any more. however they have suddenly taken a big intrest in feeding them and cleaning the litterbox. they even got a few new toys for them.

I just wanted to know what you guys think about this. and what advice do you have for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I would repeat what you said a few days ago and say how you appreciate their concern and know how much they love your cats but nothing has changed. Why don't you suggest they adopt a couple of cats from a shelter if they want your cats so bad?

And yes - I would say they are your cats - pets come with responsibility... They don't survive on being petted!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 PM
d_b
Cat

They are your cats, you cared for them, paid to feed them, paid vet bills etc. I wouldnt say anything else about the matter. I would make sure the cats are the first thing that got moved.

If you can't spoil a pet, there is no use in having one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Definitely sounds like they are YOUR cats to me!

Make sure you make it clear to your roommate and his girlfriend that despite what they do from here on out, you are NOT changing your mind and you WILL be taking all 3 cats with you. They certainly cannot expect to make up in a few weeks what you've been doing for the last 5 months.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Re: my room mate thinks they are his cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgy
however they have suddenly taken a big intrest in feeding them and cleaning the litterbox. they even got a few new toys for them.
Too little too late. It is quite likely these cats will suffer some neglect if let with these people.

When you took them to the vet, did you register yourself as the owner? Are you worried about possible negative reactions when you ARE moving? Maybe would be best to ask some friends round just incase. Or speak to a free legal advise center to see what your rights are incase (doubtful) they put up a fight.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM

payment is not the answer. If you love all 3 kitties, take them out fast when you move, otherwise you may find them hidden or removed on you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds as if your roommate and his gf are trying to quietly reclaim what they think is there's (even though they have no right to).

My advice is to be prepared for them to put up a fight, even if you think they won't. According to most laws, it doesn't matter how much time or money you have spent on a pet, but what matters is if the cats are legally your property. Vet records should be in your name, and if your city or county requires licensing, you should get them licensed in your name as well.
I agree that you should speak to someone about some free legal counseling. If you are a student, many schools will provide this service free of charge.

Let your roommate know that the cats are legally your, and you will fight to protect that right if need be.

Be prepared to find a safe place that the cats can stay for a few weeks if needed. If they decide to take the cats from you, it will be difficult to get them back, and it would be best if you could move them first so they don't get the chance.

Keep us updated, and good luck!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Re: my room mate thinks they are his cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgy
I have 3 cats that are 5 months old. there are 2 sisters (Rattchet and Onyxia) and one brother (Blam). We got them because the mom (a stray) had them under the shed in the backyard. When we found them I asked my room mate if he would mind if i keept one of them. he said sure, then added he was going to keep one as well. then his girl friend said she would take the third cat. well its 5 months later and the girl friend never took "her" cat, and my room mate has not spent one dime on food, litter, toys, or the vet. I have payed for every thing for all three of them. on top of not helping pay for stuff, i can count on one hand the number of times they have feed the cats, or cleaned the litterbox. all they do is play with them maybe 5 min a day.
Well Im going to be moving out at the end of this month. Now my room mate's girl friend said, "awww... Blam is going to be all alone". Blam is my cat, the one I picked out when we first found them. Thats when i told her that he was not going to be alone because im taking all three of MY cats with me. Well she was floored, she ran to my room mate and told him what i said. He then told me that i couldnt have his or his girl friends cat. That didnt sit too well with me, so i told them off, and pointed out all the reasons they are not their cats. They realy didnt have anything to say other than "we'll pay you for whatever you spent on them". That would be fine except for two things, they dont have the money to pay me back, and my cats are not for sale.
that happend a few days ago, and it has not been discused any more. however they have suddenly taken a big intrest in feeding them and cleaning the litterbox. they even got a few new toys for them.

I just wanted to know what you guys think about this. and what advice do you have for me?
The same thing happened to me with one of my ex-roommates. I just called my ex-roommate's mother. My ex-roommate's mother is a HUGE cat-hater and she promptedly told my roommate to leave my cats.

I was really funny in a way: my ex-roommate was so afraid of her parents , she never spent a dime on those cats. On the rare occasions she did buy something for the cats (a $2 bag of litter, for instance), she begged me not to tell her parents because her parents would be really angry she spent money on a cat.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Very well said Nell! I agree with all the advice you gave. I would not leave the cats alone with them under any circumstances. Move them now if you have to - when they are out. You don't want them sneaking one of them out when you are out somewhere.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 PM

I think i'd move them now. Find a friend or some one who'll take them for a little while, and when you can, scoop them up and move them out of the situation.

If they say anything, just say 'Well, i'm moving, and i told you I was moving, why woulnd't everything that's mine go with me?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page