paw in water...why??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

paw in water...why???

does your cat ever puts his /her paw in the waterbowl before she drinks? why do they do that? to test if the water is hot or cold? or to see if there IS any water in there.....????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:44 AM

I certainly can't tell you the "why" behind it...who REALLY knows the mind of a cat? Two of my cats do funny things before they drink water. Marcellus, ever since he was a kitten sticks his paw and sometimes it seems his whole leg in the water before he drinks and then takes it out and licks all the water off his toes....yummy toe jam I guess. He does this over and over. Needless to say, water drinking is quite the process for him. Lewis, always before he drinks water, fast and furiously paws the floor/counter. It's very funny as he really gets going. It's like he's trying to get the water to do something. Couldn't tell ya!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Premier Cat

My cat, Pepper, always loves to "dig" in her water bowl. I have picked her up many times and found her paws soaking wet. She doesn't even try to lick the water off, just lets them stay drippy.

I'm not sure why she does it -- maybe she likes to soak her feet after a hard day!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM

ya know I had such a hard time getting Sully to drink water until I bought a water fountain. He sticks his paws in the water and drinks it off his paw. Cats do some strange things!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 PM

My cat Squirrel licks the drops off the bathtub wall when I get out.

Schnitz loves to scoop water up with a paw. Just because he thinks it is fun.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

Velvet used to stick her paws in water when she had a water bowl, before the pet fountain. Of course then she would shake her paw, looking completely disgusted that is was wet.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 PM

Harley never used to do that.....she'd go face first, into any glass or bowl around.

Then....she made the mistake of doing this with my Rum and Coke. She actually made a face of disgust.

Now she sticks her paws in things and sniffs them first!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:43 AM

One of our cats, Flower, puts her rope toy into the water almost daily. One day I watched her do it - she carried it over in her mouth and dropped the end in, then very carefully pushed the rest in with her paw. Then she batted it around in the water awhile, drank some water, and walked off.

She gets it out of the water sometimes, too -- we'll see like half of it in and the other half out of the bowl, but all wet.

Cats are so entertaining!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 01:19 AM

Water

I have heard that cats have a hard time telling if there is any water in the bowel because they cannot see the top of the water. Maybe your kitty is testing it to see where the water is in the bowl.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Tom Cat

In the days that we had the mighty duo of Rom and Merlin, it was noted that Rom kept trying to get into whatever my wife had in her cup, on the end table near the end of the sofa. We eventually placed a clear glass coffee mug there with water. That's what Rom prefered to drink from. When Merlin moved in, he took right to the arrangement. The strange thing about Merlin though, was that he seldom drank by lapping the water. He'd dunk his paws into the water, and lick it off his paws.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page