Waiting for Bobby - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Waiting for Bobby

Hi,

My 6 year old cat got out of the house in which I live this past Thursday night because some idiot in the house left the back door open at midnight, unbeknownst to me.

I've put up flyers with his picture all over my neighborhood, including the interiors of 4 house on my block which are part of the Zen Buddhist community in which I live.

I've left a cotton tank top that I wore draped on a plant outside the door where he exited. I left food out at 1 am, but the ants and slugs got to it first.

I'm planning on sitting outside in the back yard for a few hours, reading, hoping he catches my scent and/or sees me, and figures it's safe to come home.

I won't call the ASPCA (which is a couple of miles away) because they are unresponsive to calls about lost or stray animals.

Bobby didn't have a collar or tag on because he wouldn't allow me to put it on him. All of my cats are indoor cats.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7722
Advice ^-^

Is he microchipped? If he isnt going to have a collar on with ID then he should be microchipped, incase animal control pick him up. They wont know that he is your pet. Same for all your guys.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Premier Cat

So sorry about your cat.

I'm going to move your post to Cat Chat since you are in need of help.

Come on back to Say Meow when you're ready to introduce yourself and your cats to the members.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your cat.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Try going out at night with with a flashlight. Call him. With a flashlight sometimes you can see the eyes glow even if you cannot see the rest of the cat.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Cool Cat

OMG every time I read something like this I get teary eyed thinking about what I went through when JoJo got out last year around this time. I did everything that you're supposed to in this situation. Everyone told me told me that she was close to the house. I felt like cursing them out...how the heck do you know where the she is. Yep it was true. Three months later I spotted her hot footin it across the cul de sac. I hope I hope I hope she comes back. I'll be thinking about you and please keep us in informed.

Shari
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Waiting for Bobby

Thanks to all of you who replied to my plea for help in bringing Bobby home.

No, stupid me, I didn't put a collar and tag around his neck 'cause he fought like heck when I tried. I have since put collars and tags on his siblings, even though the names are wrong (left over from another cat who's at the Bridge).

I'll be spending time in the back yard, hoping to spot him; the suggestion that I look for him at night with a flashlight is brilliant. Thank you for that tip.

I feel that he's somewhere around here, close to home. I've just got to coax him out so that I can bring him home.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 PM

When you go out at night try bringing some really smelly food with you. Canned Mackeral works great!
Also, go around to your neighbors and ask them if you can look in their garages.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Waiting for Bobby

Thanks. I'm about ready to do that. Also, I will turn off the back door light and use a flashlight to reflect in his eyes, if and when he approaches.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:36 AM

To keep the ants (& maybe slugs) away from the food, you can put it in a pan or pie dish with a little water in there... they won't cross it.

This is always such a stressful time, but the odds are very much in your favor that he will come back on his own. Keep putting that smelly food out and sitting quietly outside when you can... I read here on the board that some people put a bit of the cat's used litter in a bag with holes in it (so the smell comes out!)... and put this out near the house. It's worth a try!

I'm not sure if the ASPCA is the same thing as our local humane society in my town, but you should phone the local shelters just to make sure that you have him listed on the Lost Cat List. I know that at our shelters here in TX, they keep a list like that, and will phone you if someone brings in your cat.

I'll be thinking of you... be sure to post here when you find him.

Emily
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I just called one of the ladies who helped place Bobby with me. She suggested that I place a trap both in the front and back of the house. So I called another rescue lady who has traps for this purpose, and asked that she call me back ASAP because Bobby has escaped.

What I will do when I set up the traps is drape an article of my clothing in and out of the trap along with smelly cat food.

While I wait for the traps, I'm going to place dishes of food on the front and back steps. The ants may get to it before Bobby, but at least Bobby will know this is a place to get food while he is outside.

Also, I'm going to distribute flyers to the children this afternoon as they return from school, and ask that they look for Bobby; I'll promise a reward to whomever successfully finds Bobby.

Thanks again to you all for your support in this heart wrenching time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page