ahhhh prey? working cats? how do you find??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ahhhh prey? working cats? how do you find???

Hello everyone.

Just curious if we want a cat with specific traits how do we go about finding them? SO many dogs in the dog have been labeled as "working dogs" and are specially bred for this, WHY aren’t cats also??? The thing is I have recently had my older 10 year old cat attack and kill a weasel (very easily) that was trying to get into my pigeon coop. This cat is EVERYTHING our family has ever wanted, great family pet and amazing hunter good at defending himself etc... How does one go about finding a cat like this??? Also these days I’ve seen many cats run away from rats or even rabbits LOL what happened to the old school cats that use to be used in snake & rat control??? Do specific breeds carry these traits?? I would not think so since I've been to a cat show and even those it says on a Maine coons or forest cats breed description they are tough cats etc... The ones I saw sure did not fit that breed description! Almost cat in the show seemed to have an overly docile nature and no spunk. Even the farm cats I have seen around here seem to be either soft or super inbred! When my mother was a child growing up, they use to have to deal with cats raiding their chicken coops at night! Here such things are unheard of! Is this a genetics thing? If so how do people usually go about finding “real cats” I hope I make sense here! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Premier Cat

I think this post would be better off in Cat Chat. I'll move it over.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:56 PM

It's not really a genetic trait at all. It's both the way it was raised and the cat's general nature.
I had a spoilt cat, that was indoor the whole lot, and when we got it, we let it go outside, and when it was 15 years old, caught a rabbit and bought it back, becuase her teeth weren't all that great, but she still wanted to eat it.
And yet another cat that was outdoors, of my parents, it recently disappeared, we guess hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Certain purebred breeds are known for certain traits, but there's so much variation there's no guarantee that you'd get a cat with the traits you desire. And you can't judge from cats in a show.

Probably you want to look at breeds that are known to be large, strong, and active. And then inquire about the personalities of the stud and queen. And then cross your fingers and hope.

Cats......WORK?!?!?

(Sorry....couldn't resist....welcome to the forum!! )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:35 PM

I just want to second that you can't judge by show cats.
They have to be docile to be handled by the judges. If a cat is not easily handlable (?) it can count against it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Cool Cat

Yep, I think it's just the nature of the cat. Your cat sounds like a real badass I watched my Billie cat allow a cricket to hop right up and under her belly with no interest at all.

Shari
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 AM

Even though our kitties are domesticated, they all still have a wild side. In fact, the DNA signature of domestic cats is practicaly identical to that of African Wild Cats!

AWC

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats......WORK?!?!?

(Sorry....couldn't resist....welcome to the forum!! )[/quote]

LOL I know how funny it sounds but the be honest both my cat and dog have jobs here just like I do (my job is to take care of them and keep them heathy lol. THe nice thing is my pets are amazing at their jobs! ANy mouse or rat that gets in my cat is quick to get it or any other strange animal around the house he will also get (we keep outdoor birds so things like rats and snakes can pose a huge problem.)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:11 PM

hmmm, i dunno... i got one cat from the pound, two from a friend, and another from a cat rescue. all four of them would just as soon eat a mouse as look at it. my cat before this crew, Ziggy, once killed a full grown squirrel and used to bring us rats and mice almost daily. and i used to live in a large industrial type live-work space that kept a cat as a mouser... they had mice, so they went out and bought a cat... definately a working cat. i assume cats are not bred for mousing because it comes naturally to them. lol, my dad used to say that you could tell a good mouser by the size of the ears... dunno where he got that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page