My poor kitties had a terrible fright **update** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My poor kitties had a terrible fright **update**

Earlier this morning, I heard a cat racing around the house and a couple of crashes. I ran to check and found Pepper climbing the screens in my porch, tail puffed up, with the handle of a gift bag caught around her middle!

I got her down carefully, held her close to soothe her, and called for my husband to get some scissors. Luckily, Pepper is a very gentle little kitty who never bites or scratches, so I was able to hold her safely. The bag was ripped, and there was a big piece of it still attached to the handle. The handle was around her tightly enough that she couldn't wiggle out on her own. Poor kitty!

After my husband cut the bag off, she was still terrified for quite a while but seems better now. Pumpkin and Snickers were hiding. Poor Snickers still won't come downstairs and it's been 2 hours!

I still don't know how she got caught in the bag or where it came from. She could have taken it from a waste can, or maybe one of my kids left it laying around.

Just goes to show you can never be too safe with your cats.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

And when these things happen, folks, be sure to be on the lookout for redirected aggression. Separate cats immediately if they take out their stress by being aggressive toward another pet or human. Give them the rest of the day to cool off. Redirected aggression is best avoided when possible. It isn't just the stray cat outside the window that causes it.

Lisa...later today you'll be able to laugh about it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM

Oh my Gosh, Lisa!! Your poor baby! Thank goodness you were home when it happened..... How are all the kitties doing today? Did you have to separate them? I hope they are all well, you have come so far with them......

Let us know how they make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
And when these things happen, folks, be sure to be on the lookout for redirected aggression. Separate cats immediately if they take out their stress by being aggressive toward another pet or human. Give them the rest of the day to cool off. Redirected aggression is best avoided when possible. It isn't just the stray cat outside the window that causes it.

Lisa...later today you'll be able to laugh about it.
That's a really good point, Tim. It was very frightening for all of us.

When I saw Snickers could not be coaxed out of hiding with food, I reassured him and left him alone, and he did come out eventually. I did hear him hiss once later in the day, and Pepper is still a bit tentative. All in all, they're doing well.

Chris, luckily no one has regressed to the earlier behaviors you are so familiar with!

I am still finding evidence of the incident (bits of the gift bag, crooked lampshades, etc.). Turns out my daughter had left the gift bag on her desk -- it was from a gift that she had kept in the bag which had been in her closet (gotta clean in there ).

Thanks for the good wishes.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Hope the kitties are back to their normal selves today. Sorry for using your thread as a soapbox. It's something that's been on my mind lately, and I couldn't resist using your experience as an illustration. Maybe I'll start a thread.

It just amazes me how riled up cats can get over nothing at all, and even worse, how long it takes them to calm down. I think a lot of behavior problems people have can be avoided if they recognize and respond appropriately immediately after the triggering event.

As you said, Lisa:
Quote:
Just goes to show you can never be too safe with your cats.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Sorry for using your thread as a soapbox.
Geez, hijack my thread, will ya?

Just kidding -- I've been known to get on a soapbox at times.

It's an important issue. Behavior is chock full of questions about this!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:01 PM

One time, I stepped on Kip's tail (accidently, of course). He let out a SHRIEK, puffed all up and went flying upstairs. The other 3 all puffed up, ran around in circles, one smacking the others in transit. It was a horror show! It left me quite shook up, too. I had to go find Kip, apologize profusely, get him to come back downstairs, and round up the other 3 out of their respective hiding places. Jeebus, what a scene that was! Eyes as big around as full moons! Yeah, theirs, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page