An example of selfishness. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

An example of selfishness.

I have a new neighbor downstairs who just moved in with some roommates. They just adopted a black kitten but their landlord owns the furniture in their home and doesn't want the kitten scratching furniture so he told them that the only way they can keep the kitten is if they get it declawed. What I find very selfish is that instead of finding the kitten another home, the morally correct thing to do, it looks like they're going to put the kitten through the pain and horror of being declawed just so they can keep the kitten.

Out of concern I tried to offer alternatives. I said that the shelters sometimes have cats that are already declawed. She said, "Well we already got a kitten." That's selfish because she could find the kitten a home first and then look for an already declawed cat at a shelter. I also suggested softpaws nail caps and having a professional groomer trim the nails regularly. She's considering that which is a good thing. But if their landlord insists that the kitten has to be declawed it looks like they're going to do it, anything to keep that little bundle of joy, even though I told her declawing a cat is like having parts of your fingers removed up to the first knuckle and that it's considered cruel, even though it will be very painful for the kitten, even though it will be traumatized for life, putting the kitten through pain and suffering just so they can keep it? It's wrong.

I understand what it's like to be denied your favorite pet. I've lived in apartments that didn't allow pets before. Now I own my own condominium and have the freedom to have pets. So I have 2 cats and my neighbors see them on my balcony sometimes and they would like to have cats too but their landlord doesn't allow it. Well, that's just tough luck. They should move to another apartment that allows pets or leave the expensive city of San Diego, move to another state and buy their own place. They don't have the money? Well, tough luck. I could have had to sacrifice it too. The only reason I got my own place is through an inheritance from my grandmother. I'm just lucky. I owe my grandmother in heaven a million thank yous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM

I can understand how upset you must be, but did they know their landlord wanted the kitten declawed BEFORE they got the kitten? Do you know if it's in their lease? If it's NOT in their lease they might NOT have to do it (they would want to check out laws regarding that in your state). It's not as if they decided to declaw the kitten because THEY were concerened about the furniture. In this situation, the options are limited.

And even if they did find the kitten a new home, there's no way you'll know if the kitten would or would not be declawed by the new kitty parents.

Not everyone is against declawing (which can be sad) so you might just have to let them do what they're going to do. You've given them options and it's up to them to take them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Actually their landlord doesn't allow cats and dogs period, but decided to make an exception for the kitten if they're willing to get the cat declawed. I know it's their problem. But I feel so sorry for the kitten. I wouldn't want to have a quarter of my fingers removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
After trying so hard to keep hundreds of black kittens from being euthanized in College Station, TX, I adopted three black kittens. I have four black cats now and I have respect for anyone who decide to get a black kitten.

There are many, many different kinds of declawing procedures. Some are more humane than others. There is a procedure (I forgot what it is called) that slightly cut the tendons to the claws so they can't be used instead of amputating the toes. They might want to consider that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page