Advice needed: how to collect a urine sample - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Advice needed: how to collect a urine sample

I just called the vet's to see if Scotty needed more antibiotics for his UTI or if I needed to take in a urine sample. They suggested to bring in a urine sample, and said I could place packing peanuts in the litterbox and get a sample that way. But I'm thinking that Scotty won't have it.

Is there another way that might be easier/less obvious to him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Follow him to the litterbox when he goes to use it and when he starts going to the bathroom slide a babyfood jar or someting else under their rump. easiest way i find. thats the way my vet recommended it and it was almost tooo easy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow771
Follow him to the litterbox when he goes to use it and when he starts going to the bathroom slide a babyfood jar or someting else under their rump. easiest way i find. thats the way my vet recommended it and it was almost tooo easy.
I would but he squats SO LOW. Hmmm, I can try though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

Just make sure it's very clean. I remember one member who collected her own urine sample and the results were inaccurate because the sample was contaminated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know if you want to do it this way, but my vet took the sample for me. To make sure Snickers' bladder was full, I took away his litter box overnight and ran him to the vet first thing in the morning. The collection of the sample was very quick.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Cool Cat

My vet gave me some non-absorbant litter to use. It is these tiny round balls. But with so many cats it is not always an option for me - depending on whose urine I need to get.

With Sebastian, he stresses out and pees in the carrier when I put him in it and then there is no urine for the vet to collect so he has to stay overnight and that stresses him (an me) more. So I implemented a procedure the last time I needed a sample. I clean the carrier with alcohol and let it dry. Then I put him in it, he pees, I tilt the carrier and suck up the urine with a syringe, then put the syringe in a plastic baggy and off we go to the vets.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I got some "packing noodles" from walmart and a small, cheapo litterbox (I figure if he makes a mess, it's sitting on a towel and full of packing noodles). I broke the noodles in half so they're smaller, but I'm not sure how this will work. His main litter box is hidden, so until he pees in the small one, he won't be seeing his normal one.

Wish me luck! (btw, the packing noodles are large enough that he won't be able to choke and I really hope he doesn't eat any of the pieces. He seems more interested in playing with them.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page