tough question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

tough question

I have 7 cats that were strays that I rescued 4 years ago. I have been married for 2 years and recently found out we are expecting our first child!!

with the baby coming in May, he is worried abt the amount of work and money it takes to keep 7 cats. my husband has been pressuring me to "reduce the number of cats."

this is causing great pain for me and great stress in our marriage.

I am very aware that there are more cats then there are good, safe homes--and i don't think i could pick and choose which cat to adopt out. Nor do i want to adopt out any; these are my "babies."

any suggestions??

thank you
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

Maybe you could work out how much time and money you spend on the cats. When he sees how little will actually be saved, perhaps he'll realize it isn't all that big of a deal. Men work on logic. Use the data to appeal to his reason. He doesn't really grasp the concept of the cats being your babies yet, since he hasn't had one of his own. After he's experienced having his own child, he might have a different attitude toward the cats.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Tim

thankyou for your suggestions! after reading your post, i thought of making a pie chart to visually grasp how much we actually spend on the cats (which although it is a bit, i don't think it's our biggest expense!).

thank you again!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

I hope it works. You can always tell him it was a guy who gave you the advice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My fiance was upset that I got five cats. However, I talk to him every single night right before I go home. I eventually wore him down.

However, it is a lot easier when I talk to my fiance about how children raised with pets have less allergies and less anthma. They also have 10 more IQ points than normal children.

Get an automatic litterbox. It saves $$$ on litter and it prevents you from the risks of toxoplasmosis. It also saves you a tremendous amount of work. Also try to get a water fountain and an automatic feeder so it saves you a lot of work.

Also, now is probably the time to scale things down a little bit. Try buying slightly cheaper food and litter and extending the gap between each vaccination. Tidy Cats Small Places litter is great. I know that it is usually a bad advice, but if your husband sees the effort that you are trying to spend less money on the cats, he might relent and let you keep them. It is better for the cats to suffer for a couple of months rather than your husband taking them to the shelter where they could be euthanized.

Try stockpiling cat food. When my fiance told me I had too many cats, I told him "I already have four months supply of cat food and litter, I might as well keep the cats otherwise the stuff would just spoil and go to waste"

After you stockpile the food and litter, the cost of having cats can be artificially low. So you can show him how much money you spend on cats (It is a little deceptive, but it works). Don't forget to show him the receipts every single time you buy anything that is cat-related after you finish stockpiling food and litter.

Also, make sure you assure your husband that you won't get any more cats after this. Put it down in writing.

This is what worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page