need help with fat cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

need help with fat cat

How do I get Casper to loose some weight? We only give her a tiny handful and food morning and night. She doesn't get treats either but she stays fat. So what can I do to help her loose weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The best way I know is a toy called Da Bird. It makes cats exercise like crazy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

hmm I need to look into that then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm not sure what you feed your cats although you said "handful" so I'm thinking dry. I fed my cats dry food exclusively and less than the amount specified and all my cats were getting a little overweight, one in particular., whom the vet told me was overweight. And they are young yet so I was a little afraid of weight being a big problem as the got older. Based on some of the information I've been reading, some of it on this site, I am thinking it may have possibly been the dry food as far as my cats go. I have recently switched them to canned food just this last month. I am thinking this may help my cats. A thought for you anyway.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

hmm thanks for that information. I will look into that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Premier Cat

After years of dieting I have found that cutting out dry food and feeding a wet food diet has regulated my cat's weight. They still get dry as an occassional treat.I think a lot of people here have had a similar experience.
One of the reasons for the dry food weight gain is that it is very high in carbohydrates also, some say, because it's cooked at such a high heat there's very little nutritional value left and and cats can't process much of what's left so they tend to over eat. I've also noticed that mine do eat less on the wet diet.
Of course, some extra play is also always helpful!

Victoria
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

okay but one more question. What brand of wet food should we feed her?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey'sMuM
okay but one more question. What brand of wet food should we feed her?
if you look around in the health and nutrition section, there is LOTS of discussion about food types, and which ones are good. There is also a lot of info about wet food in general (as a sticky at the top of the section), and if you look around many of those sites will also help you learn to read an ingredients lable properly so that you are able to choose a good food on your own Good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Nanook, at first I thought you were talking about yourself and I was like What?!?! It was a good laugh for me though. I have also heard that the raw diet keeps them trim too. Your subject made me curious because my Aunt had a cat Named Fat Cat, for obviouse reasons. He looked like Garfield. But for health reasons, it's important to keep them at a healthy weight. Fat Cat was lost to a heart attack in his sleep and he was only a few years old(but he was enormous), so you are doing the right thing by fixing this before the health issues arrise. Yay.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Premier Cat

OMG!!! That's TOO funny, BamMcg! Ooops!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page