Arg... a setback! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Arg... a setback!

So over the last few weeks, we have been slowly introducing Sheba and Doogie. Things were going ok. They would eat at the door (with it cracked) no problem, so we began supervised interaction time (sounds so technical!!). Doogie had no problem w/Sheba, in fact, he just ran right up to her and rubbed up against her. Sheba, on the other hand, is less than thrilled w/our new little guest. She would hiss and run away at first (an occassional swat.. but nothing serious). Today they were at the point where they were both laying on the bed w/my bf and I, and Sheba didn't run away or even stop purring. I thought, "wow, this is great.. look how good they are getting along togeter." I had to think that. Seconds later, Doogie started moving towards sheba and sniffed at her, then SWATED her!! I couldn't believe it!!
I think he is finally trying to show her some dominance, b/c up until recently, it is sheba doing the hissing, and Doogie just kind of putting up w/it. Well, after he swatted her, Sheba ran off and Doogie ran right after her and there was a couple angry meows (neither of them ever did anything but hiss before today). Doogie went right back into his room. Guess they're not quite as far along as we had thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry to hear that, Emskie. Intros can be a challenge, as we found out when we got the kittens.

The good news is they're not fighting. It sounds like they just need more time getting used to each other.

Are you still keeping them separated, or are they together all the time now?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:03 PM

It has been my experience that it takes about a month to successfully introduce a new kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymekaps
Are you still keeping them separated, or are they together all the time now?
Well, we were taking them out while we were home (which hasn't been much lately) and keeping them separate when we left. Yesterday they had their first nearly full day out together since it was a weekend and I was home typing a paper all day. Maybe it was just a bit much for them...
This morning was the closest I've ever seen them get to a real fight. I think if we weren't there right away to break it up, it might have gone that direction. Doogie just seems to want to push Sheba's buttons.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Cat Addict

paws crossed friendship happens soon!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 AM

I am glad I am not the only one going through this! I have had Phoebe for over a year. We just got Brady about 3 weeks ago and he wants to play with her but she wants nothing to do with him. She doesn't hiss but she does that low throat growl. My 3 year daughter says "Phoebe's like a wolf!" They do tolerate eating their wet food side by side but other then that she swats him. This morning when they both came in the bed with me, Phoebe was on one side and Brady the other. All was fine till Phoebe noticed Brady on the other side of me! She started to growl and then charged him! It was quite a scene. I have been thinking since I got Brady I would like another kitten. Maybe I should so Brady can "play" like he wants too. I just hope that doesn't push Phoebe over the edge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page