Litterbox location help needed! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Litterbox location help needed!

Hi all,
Ok so this is going to be a weird question. I need suggestions on a litter box location. Normally this isnt something Id need help on but Im short on ideas here. I have a cat back at my moms and his litter box is in the guest bedroom...works out well for all involved. Of course, I dont live with my mom and her cat, lol...but when I did live up there, I lived in the guest room. We got Cleo in January and put her litterbox in my bathroom. At the time, until a month ago, we lived in a two bed, 2 bath apartment. Her box was in my bathroom which was larger (roman tub...two sinks) than my girlfriends. We never really had an issue there outside of her tracking her litter (stinker jumps over the large pad we have for her)

Anyways, we just moved and are in a top half of a house (for now) and for the time being, her box is in a nice spot in the bathroom next to the shower. The only issue is tracking. Where she tracks is right where we step in and out of the shower and we start tracking her litter around which as you can imagine, gets kinda gross. We have a living room, dining room, dinky kitchen, small bedroom and my larger bedroom. I wouldnt mind having the box in my room, but I think Cleo might come in here less if her box is in here. I dont know about putting it in a closet either.

Do you have any suggestions on what I could do or where I could put it?

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Banned

Looking at it from a cat's point of view: a litterbox should be located in a location that's easily accessible. It should have a certain amount of privacy while yet allowing the cat to see any threat that's approaching while he's doing his business. It should have at least two different escape routes. It should not be close to anything that would be frightening...loud noises, sudden movement, etc. It should be away from food and bedding.

As for the tracking, there are anti-tracking mats you can put down next to the box that catch the litter. The way theses mats work is to cause the cat to spread his toes, which makes the stuck litter fall out. So the mat has to be oriented so that the cat has to walk on it with all four paws when exiting the box. Most of the mats sold in pet stores don't achieve both these objectives. You could try "welcome" mats or astro-turf mats (if your cat doesn't enjoy chewing plastic.)

Here is my solution to litter tracking: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14367

Not for everybody, and having boxes in the closet violates the multiple-escape rule. But with one cat that shouldn't be a major factor.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
I kind of have the same set up at Tim.. The litter box is int he linnen closet in the spare bathroom.. out of the way, and private.. also like tim's only one way out.. but they don't seem to mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
thanks for the suggestions.

She does have a mat.....she is just too sneaky and jumps mostly over it. Most of the litter on her paws gets ont he mat, but some escapes. Then if we are walking on the bathroom floor after a shower with wet feet and step in the litter particles...it starts to get messy in there.

I had her box in a spot that was just the right size for it....but unfortunately, she passed the shower entrance and stepped on the shower mat which would get lots of litter on it from her walking by and then when we step out of the shower....ugh. I moved it to another spot in the bathroom but I still dont like its location but for now, I cant think of anywhere else to put it.

Never thought about giving her escape routes...cats are pretty danged creative when they want to get away. Her box has one entrance to it as its just a cover basically (plastic tidy cat box). She wont go in there if we are in the bathroom. Although one time last week, after using the bathroom, I opened the door and she zipped in there faster than Ive seen her move in a while, lol. Must have had to go bad.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 AM

About the litter tracking, one of the only ways I have found to solve this problem is to put a cheap fuzzy show mat under the front of our litter boxes (or a really fuzzy cheap towel). This way kitty doesn't feel inclined to jump when she comes out of the box and most of the litter from her feet gets collected in the mat in front of the box and keeps it out of the rest of the house. I just take them and shake them out once or twice a week when they get really full of litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page