Too late to change his name? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Too late to change his name?

This is kind of a silly question....

My boys are now 2 years old. I named them Felix and Milo. Recently I was talking to a friend and describing their two personalities. Felix is very prim and proper, always grooming, gentle, very clean (won't go in the litter if its too dirty). Milo is the opposite. He's not as poised as Felix, grooms minimally, eats a lot, and kind of rough. My friend said that they are like the odd couple....and I should have named Milo - Oscar instead!

I love that idea....but is it too late to change his name?? He doesn't answer to his name anyway....Have any of you ever changed your cats' names years later??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Premier Cat

I know many cats who have had their name changed, often by new owner. It had never been a problem. Velvet wouldn't have a problem with it, I call her so many nicknames anyway she wouldn't know the difference.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:00 PM

Re: Too late to change his name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy
This is kind of a silly question....

My boys are now 2 years old. I named them Felix and Milo. Recently I was talking to a friend and describing their two personalities. Felix is very prim and proper, always grooming, gentle, very clean (won't go in the litter if its too dirty). Milo is the opposite. He's not as poised as Felix, grooms minimally, eats a lot, and kind of rough. My friend said that they are like the odd couple....and I should have named Milo - Oscar instead!

I love that idea....but is it too late to change his name?? He doesn't answer to his name anyway....Have any of you ever changed your cats' names years later??
The name Milo is Greek in origin and means soldier, so as he grooms minimally, eats a lot, and is kind of rough I think you instictively chose the right name for him so it would be a shame to change it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Well we adopted Cleo from Petsmart or PetCo; they didnt know her story or her name. So with that, we brought her home and started calling her Nermal, after Garfields cousin. But then we remembered that Nermal was a boy and so that wouldnt work. So I putzed around and found Cleo...Heathcliffs lady. Of course that cleo is white and ours is black...but who cares about the details.

I would however find it strange to rename a cat that already has a name. If we knew the name she had before we adopted her, wed be calling her by that name, not by whatver we choose because it makes us comfy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I've been wanting to rename Buddy since the moment Matt decided on his name and wouldn't accept any other suggestions. I really dislike his name. It's so boring an un-original. Unfortunatley, because he's been Buddy his entire life, I have a hard time calling him anything else. Lately a friend of ours has nicknamed him Lemon, because like a lemon car he's been constantly sick and in and out of the vets. (It's all good natured of course). I like it better than Buddy (at least it has a story to it!) and have been trying to incorporate that with his other nicknames

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 AM

It's Wrong.

It's very disrespectful to just up and change someones name because you got bored with it. If you have children would you just one day go up to them and say "I'm going to start calling you George from now on because I really don't like the name I gave you at birth anymore."

It doesn't matter to the cat--but it should matter to you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 AM

I don't see the kitty having a problem with it.

Members, please remember to keep it respectful. We all share a love of our furry babies and that's why we're here.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Sheesh....wasn't expecting such sensitive posts on a such a light-hearted topic...

Canis Lupess: you're right....it would be more confusing for me!!

Lilly: thank you for telling me the meaning of the name Milo! Knowing what the name means now, I agree with you that it would be a shame to change it. I will probably just use 'Oscar' as a nickname the way vanillsugar and Lori have nicknames for their little ones.

Whateverworks and ziggystyles: Lighten up....there are far more serious issues to get all bent out of shape about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page