I have 2 cats and am moving into a "no pet" policy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I have 2 cats and am moving into a "no pet" policy

I have heard a lot of stories of how people have lived in their home for years and have hid their cat from the landlord. That's what I am hoping to do! If all fails and I have to get rid of them, my parents and my boyfriend's parents say they will take them, then I just need to find a new place to live asap! Has anyone gone through this....or does anyone have any tips. I know that the no pet policy is the leading cause for animals going to shelters, I know all the facts and I know exactly what I am getting myself into. I have read ALL the articles on the internet. So if anyone has any useful tips to help me keep my animals, please let me know! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:09 PM

This is going to sound flippant, but you really need to find a place that accepts pets. Not only can your landlord ask you to surrender your animals, he can also evict you for breaking your lease agreement should he find them in your apartment, and sometimes these eviction notices have leave very little time for you to find a new place to live and can be associated with hefty fines.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:49 PM

i live in a "no cat" apartment.

it WAS allowed hwne we looked at the place, it doesnt say on the contrat anywhere that there are no cats...she verbally stated months later when i said i was getting a cat that i wasnt allowed...i just said sc*ew that and got mine anyway....

i have had them 4 months and no problems. and no one in the complex says anything...they are all hidding stuff...like sublets and birds and reptiles....etc

only issue is i had to tape the first 1.5ft of my venetian blinds together so the cats couldnt get between the linds and sit on the window sill...instant attention grabber....but otherwise i dont regret it for a minute...we love our cats and if someoene told us to move because of them, we would, in a heartbeat, they are our best friends and children
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

I have to agree with lydelia, and it's not flippant, it's a serious thing to be in violation of a lease. A lease is a contract between tenant and landlord, outlining the rights and responsibilites of both parties. If a tenant violates the lease, that means the contract has been breached, and the landlord is not held to his end of the contract, either. You forfeit your rights outlined in the lease when you breach it. So, as lydelia said, you could be faced with eviction with very little time to get out and no refund on your deposit.

Lots of people do it and get away with it. I just wanted to make you aware of the position you put yourself in if you don't. So you say you wanted tips to help you keep your animals. Then lydelia gave the best tip of all -- rent from a landlord who allows pets. Sorry, but that's just good advice.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to nocturne123
In NYC, as long as you have the pet for more than 3 months without the landlord enforcing the no pet provision, the no pet provision becomes invalid. However, the tenant must "openly and notoriously" keep the companion pet for the 3 months. This is NYC only, and hopefully your city has similar provision.

It was very difficult to find an apartment that allows pets when I was in the market. I made it very clear to my broker that there is no way I would move into an apt without my dog. He found an apartment where the super doesn't care about my dog since there were many animals in the building, so I moved in despite the no-pet contract with my landlord. I got another dog during my tenancy there.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 PM

In Ontario its actually illegal for a landlord to say no pets even though many contracts state it. So check with your local laws before worrying about it.

However, if it is legally binding and you know they are strict about not allowing animals in the building I have to agree and say you should look for somewhere else to live.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

thank you

Thanks for all the good advice!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:03 PM

I agree with the finding a place that does allow pets. Although I have been in violation of pet agreements also. Mine always allowed pets, but charged a fee per month per pet, so I always only fessed up to 1 cat, not 2.

Jennifer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Cat Addict

We are in "no pets" building but it is not written in any contract. The superintendent told us not to get any pets. Later I found out that her daughter (who lives here too) has a dog. And there is at least one more family having a dog + one family having a cat.

We got 2 cats first - and superintendent found out. She didn't say anything. Later, we got 3rd cat and we were trying to hide it from her. Eventually she found out about it too and told us "no more cats!".

As Icklemiss said, it's probably different here than in US

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:16 PM

I have no advice, but I wish you the best. I think it is wonderful that you are going to try, but yet have good homes for them, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page