Thomas got beat up pretty bad again - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thomas got beat up pretty bad again

When will this be over? i wish they would just settle the problem and get along. He came in last night and he had blood and open cuts all over him. His face and head and body seems ok but his paws and arms are just ripped up bad. I call for him before i go to bed and he never comes i dont get it. Once hes beat up he wont go back out till he gets better and he knows its safe in her but he keeps going back for more. He looks worse this time then the last i think its more than one cat, it has to be.

WHen i came home from the post office and running around i noticed another cat sneaking away. They know my car sound and my front door, to hide when i come home or when i come out to check on thomas. They beat him up when im not watching.

The cat i seen last night looks like a stray, fur matted and no collar. Maybe ill call animal control.

Hes drinking lots of water again atleast. He did that last time he got beat up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry to sound so blunt but..

How many times are you going to let your cat out when you know it is getting so badly injured?

Would you let your child or yourself go out knowing you are going to get beat up?

Have you took him to the vet? He sounds pretty badly beat up. If you cant afford the vet bill you shouldnt let him out.

Please keep the cat indoors.
btw just incase you may feel im being mean about letting your cat outdoors im not. I have 5 cats all of whom go in and out as they please, and I know how hard it can be to keep them in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Time to TRAP THE STRAY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Premier Cat

Unfortunately, that is often what happens when cats go outside. There are all sorts of troubles for them to get into. Aside from fights they often get hit by cars or poisoned or any number of unexpected things. If you know it's only one stray that he's fighting with but he's otherwise safe (ie; he's only allowed in yor back yard and not roaming the neighbourhood) then you may want to trap the stray. Otherwise it sounds like it's time to keep him inside.

Victoria
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I wish it was as simple as "just keep him inside" but its not. the cat is 8 years old and grew up in the country. He has been exposed to all the wild life in kansas city living in the country. He knows what to stay away from but these other cats are just to aggresive. They are attacking him on my front porch ive seen it.

He went out today and all he did was walk down the sidewal and sit and watch the birds. Thats all he ever does, just walks around and gets some fresh air and they jump him. He was looking pretty good there for a while too, he was running around jumping up the trees and eating the leaves and stuff now hes back hiding under my bed all hurt and wounded.

Im gona call the vet monday and see if they have a cat trap i can rent.

I told my friend and you know what he said? he said man, cats have 9 lives. Thomas has been threw it all. He said once his back foot got real infected and the doctor had to cut one of his toes off. i cant tell though. His rear paws look fine. THey dont look deformed or anything.

If i catch this other cat, what should i do? call the animal control? or take him to a different part of the area? like drive a couple miles away and let him out?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64
If i catch this other cat, what should i do? call the animal control? or take him to a different part of the area? like drive a couple miles away and let him out?
Chances are, he's someones pet. Taking him out to an unfamiliar area and just dropping him off is cruel - he'll have no food, and no shelter to speak of.

If you're so inclined, call animal control, and tell them you've trapped a cat that has been harassing your pet. They'll tell you what to do from there.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Have you tried to keep your cat inside? You do not mention trying this yet and I would be hesitant to write it off without at least giving it a go.

It is in no way cruel to keep him inside, he's reaching old age now, can't defend himself as well and I am afraid one day the post will read "thomas has been SERIOUSLY injured"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 AM

If you want your cat to do outside but not get attacked by this other cat, how about making an outdoor enclosure for him, I have seen many people do this and it can be quite inexpensive.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Premier Cat

I believe I already discribed an inexpensive enclosure but apparently it's not an option for you. I hate to be harsh but the reality is you're not doing your cat any favors by continuing to let him out to get his *** kicked. As Dylan'smom said, he's getting older and not as good at defending himself. You might be surprised at how well a lot of cats adjust to being indoors. My cat was stray and when I took him in he had to become an indoor cat. If was a little hard at first and I felt badly for him (but it just isn't an option here) but after a couple ofmonths he was O.K. and now he has absolutely no interest in going anywhere. So it IS possible.
And as for driving the cats somewhere else? No I don't think that's a good idea.Are you absolutely sure these cats are strays and don't belong to a neighbour?

Victoria
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM

While it's usually my oppinion that you should allow your cat to go outside where possible, I have to agree with the other people here. I understand that it may be difficult for you to turn him into a indoors only cat at his age though, but maybe you could try training him to accept being walked on a leash or build a enclosure outdoors for him?

Better that risking that your cat gets severely injured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page